Browning X-bolt Varmint Special .300WSM

You da man!

The 180 Grain Winchester ballistic tips velocity is 3010FPS which is the fastest i'll be shooting with 180 (unless handloaded) /

So, how many clicks would I have to use?
Ok using those numbers and hornady's calculator I get 27.4 MOA drop at 1,000yds.

Remember though ballistics programs really give you nothing more than a very close approximation and true BC will vary with range/velocity.

Once you get to actually shooting well enough to know your doing your part, check your drops at different ranges with actual field data, and then you can adjust velocity and/or BC to match them.

You don't have to do it at every range though. Try 100, 300, 500, 700yds or even just 200, 400, 600yds and that should give you enough data to come up with a real solid drop chart using just about any of the ballistics calculators.

Adjustment Graduation:
1/4 MOA Max Elevation Adjustment:
65 MOA Max Windage Adjustment:
65 MOA
Where are you in Southern OK? I'm over at Seymour, Tx, just SW of Wichita Falls about 50 miles.

Ok if your click values are as advertised then it's 4 clicks X MOA drop.

4 clicks per MOA. Your scope dial should show 1 MOA adjustment numbers and have three hash marks (IE 1 then hash marks for 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4, then number 2) between each numerical value on the scale.

Try to think in MOA + quarters instead of just counting clicks because counting every click is mind numbing and leads to errors.

Where are you in Southern OK? I'm over at Seymour, Tx, just SW of Wichita Falls about 50 miles.

Ok if your click values are as advertised then it's 4 clicks X MOA drop.

4 clicks per MOA. Your scope dial should show 1 MOA adjustment numbers and have three hash marks (IE 1 then hash marks for 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4, then number 2) between each numerical value on the scale.

Try to think in MOA + quarters instead of just counting clicks because counting every click is mind numbing and leads to errors.

Im west of Ardmore.

I will have to check the scope hash marks tomorrow, the mount doesnt even come in until friday, as of right now the scope is on my 7mag.

Im west of Ardmore.

I will have to check the scope hash marks tomorrow, the mount doesnt even come in until friday, as of right now the scope is on my 7mag.
Well I'm less than 2 hours away so if you need help maybe you can come over some weekend when I'm not off trialing or hunt testing.

www.texasquail.com

Is where you can find me.

There's also a North Texas Long Range Shooting club that works with one of our sponsors here http://thoroughbredrifles.com/Thoroughbred_Rifles_Welcome.html

and I think he's even closer.

Well I'm less than 2 hours away so if you need help maybe you can come over some weekend when I'm not off trialing or hunt testing.

www.texasquail.com

Is where you can find me.

There's also a North Texas Long Range Shooting club that works with one of our sponsors here Thoroughbred Rifles Welcome

and I think he's even closer.

Me and a buddy are going to sight our guns in (he has a .270) monday morning out at my 40 acres, 100-350 yard shots. But I definitely need some help figuring out these long shots, so i'll take you up on that offer in the near future.

Update! I bought Leupold mounts and rings (Parallel mounts, 30MM rings) so that good!!!

I went ahead and began the breaking in of the barrel process, heres where im at so far:

1st bullet then cleaned barrel, I repeated this step 5 times, then shot 4 consecutive bullets and cleaned again. That's where I stopped, how much more should I do? I also adjusted my scope after every shot so I would be that much better on paper when I sight it in.

thehulk;601799 1st bullet then cleaned barrel said:
Sounds like a good break-in process to me. My Brownings have not needed so much break-in as some others.

With my hunting rifles, I usually sight them in for 300 yards and make that the zero setting on my scope. An animal more than 300 yards away generally doesn't know you're there. And you'll have plenty of time to play with your scope adjustments then.

But an elk under 300 yards away is what I call a pop-up animal. And I handle my rifle more like a shot gun or maybe find a quick rest. Hiking through the mountains of Colorado can show you a fair number of pop-up animals. :D

Just my .02

Is it common to have 1-2'' groupings at 100yards if you dont use a gun bench or Led sled? I fire from prone position off a bipod and I cant seem to get those .5'' groups a lot of you guys get. Whats the key?

Update! I bought Leupold mounts and rings (Parallel mounts, 30MM rings) so that good!!!

I went ahead and began the breaking in of the barrel process, heres where im at so far:

1st bullet then cleaned barrel, I repeated this step 5 times, then shot 4 consecutive bullets and cleaned again. That's where I stopped, how much more should I do? I also adjusted my scope after every shot so I would be that much better on paper when I sight it in.
You will know when you stop seeing lots of copper on your patches that you have it pretty well broken in.

It'll clean much faster as well.

Is it common to have 1-2'' groupings at 100yards if you dont use a gun bench or Led sled? I fire from prone position off a bipod and I cant seem to get those .5'' groups a lot of you guys get. Whats the key?
It all depends on the rifle and the shooter.

Not everyone is going to shoot little tiny groups because of their technique.

Not every rifle is going to shoot tiny little groups no matter who is shooting it.

Sometimes you and the rifle can both be doing everything right and you just need to find a load that it likes.

It's very common for you to have scattered groups when you are breaking one in though. Sometimes it can take 10 rounds, sometimes a hundred for the barrel to get properly "seasoned" and start grouping well.

Lots of factors involved here.

It all depends on the rifle and the shooter.

Not everyone is going to shoot little tiny groups because of their technique.

Not every rifle is going to shoot tiny little groups no matter who is shooting it.

Sometimes you and the rifle can both be doing everything right and you just need to find a load that it likes.

It's very common for you to have scattered groups when you are breaking one in though. Sometimes it can take 10 rounds, sometimes a hundred for the barrel to get properly "seasoned" and start grouping well.

Lots of factors involved here.

Well im 43 rounds into breaking the gun in. So i'll keep on it and hopefully i'll see the groups start coming together, I will buy a ledsled just to have a control.

Well im 43 rounds into breaking the gun in. So i'll keep on it and hopefully i'll see the groups start coming together, I will buy a ledsled just to have a control.
You might give the guys down at North Texas Precision a call. I think they have a public range and are just down the road from you. I bet someone there would be willing to work with you on form/technique, maybe shoot the gun for you for a group to help you compare.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.