Browning Abolt titanium 7wsm

lchaber

I have an A bolt titanium mountain rifle in 7WSM. Love the rifle, not so happy with the caliber. Can this rifle be rechambered or rebarrelled into something else? I know it’s limited by magazine length.

Any rifle can be rebarreled (sometimes rechambered if geometry allows- but more often than not, not a prudent endeavor).

You need to explain the usage (largest game, and maximum typical range) and what it is about the 7 wsm you're "not happy" with.

Well...since the OP hasn't been back, I'm gonna guess he's not a fan of getting punched in the shoulder by the WSM in a 7 lb rifle. I mean, what else is not to like? :)

I love my 7WSM's. Great all around cartridge.

I am not a smith, but you can rebarrel and maybe rechamber your current barrel to a lighter 7mm depending on barrel contour. Could drop back to a 7mm-08 possibly, but again that is for your smith to determine.

I am 73 and yes the 7wsm does give me fits with recoil. I am mostly a varmint hunter. Occasionally look for a deer at ranges of 300 or less. This is way more gun than I need. I know they made them in 243. That would be perfect for me. I was just wondering if it were possible to convert to something else. I imagine the bolt face would limit me on my choices. Then too, I have dies, 3 boxes of factory ammo, 3 boxes of brass so I’m set up for using this rifle as is. My best option would probably be to trade this or sell it to get something better suited to my needs. I’ll be pondering my options.

You can always add a brake and weight to the stock. Would still have the look of the mountain rifle but some more weight. On this note, I did something similar for a young man that got a light Kimber in 300wsm but he was recoil sensitive. His flinch was affecting his accuracy. We installed a brake and he had a canvas saddle bag that fit on the stock to give him a cheek pad. The bag had pockets on each side. I made molds of each pocket and made lead ingots that fit into each, and I made them in .5# to 2#. They were then primed and painted and he could mix and match them until he was comfortable. Best part is they are easy to remove. He can shoot his gun now with no felt recoil with 3.5# of lead and the brake. Just something to think about. The stock saddle bag was $30-40 and I made the lead forms by routing out a 2x6 piece of scrap wood. There are bolt on brakes so you would be able to add a brake without threading the barrel, but I bet if you added 3# to the stock you would love the way it shoots.

Can also remove the butt pad and put the weight inside the stock.

I am 73 and yes the 7wsm does give me fits with recoil. I am mostly a varmint hunter. Occasionally look for a deer at ranges of 300 or less. This is way more gun than I need. I know they made them in 243. That would be perfect for me. I was just wondering if it were possible to convert to something else. I imagine the bolt face would limit me on my choices. Then too, I have dies, 3 boxes of factory ammo, 3 boxes of brass so I’m set up for using this rifle as is. My best option would probably be to trade this or sell it to get something better suited to my needs. I’ll be pondering my options.

Aha... Definitely overgunned, and definitely not a varmint rifle. My vote would be sell as is (assuming relatively not hot/low count down the tube), it's a perfect mountain rifle for medium/large game and you won't have any problems selling the whole deal to a suitable buyer/handloader. I built a lightweight WSM for my son, 30 or so rounds of load development in 2-3 hours and I didn't want to shoot it anymore... But, the one I built for myself as a long-range target rifle (15 lbs, with a good brake) I can shoot all day long, it's a pussycat.

The .243 would be a good "compromise" rifle (or, if you want to be one of the cool kids- go with it's newer twin, the 6mm Creedmoor) that'll blow up varmints and make a good whitetail rifle as well.