Brand new Lapua brass

jaybic

Hey folks,

does brand new Lapua brass need any prepping before loading...ie flash holes deburred....primer pockets uniformed..trimmed,.....ran thru the dies...?

Never used any before but always gave my Winchester brass the full run thru the mill before I loaded it but it seems I heard someplace that this is not necessary for Lapua brass other than maybe weight sorting.

Thoughts or insight?

Thx,

jamie

I always use Lapua brass. And it goes thru the prep process. I am shooting out of a tight neck 243. Primer pocket uniformed, flashhole is trimmed, and the brass is pass thru a redding body die, then I trim to correct size and then I cut my necks to the barrel specs, chamfer and debur, then load. Even though I buy the best brass it still goes thru the process

This brass is for a brand new .243 ai and is not yet fire formed. Should I still spend the time or just form it and then do the fine prep work to begin load work up for a new rifle?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I have no idea...

Thanks for your time and have a great day!

Jamie

Mine is not a 243AI, I shoot a 243 Win tightneck .269. But I would start with uniforming the primer pockets and deburring the flashhole, This way you can get it out of the way. After that I would load and fireform the brass. After that I would check for proper case length to specifications. Trim to length, chamfer and deburr. I really don't know if your running a tightneck on your 243AI. But if your not don't worry on cutting the necks, That would just put you into a whole area of reloading. I always prep my brass even though its stated its the best in the market. This is just my preference and it give me piece of mind knowing that my loads are a precise as I want them to be. gun)

If you don't want to spend to much money on dies try to find this ones. Redding #78420. Simply and they work.

Lapua brass is so good, that little prep is needed. I trim em .005", champfer mouths in and out, expand, turn necks (if needed) and size - done. After they are once fired, check case OAL and trim to uniformity, champfer again, etc.

I've never prepped any new brass, unless the neck was oval-shaped, then I run it through a neck sizing die.

I have never had a problem with new Lapua brass or Nosler brass. Also never had a problem with new Hornady brass, either. 99.9% of the time I just load it and shoot it.

Wow, people feel the need for uniforming the primer pockets and deburring the flasholes on lapua brass? Ive never needed to do that on all mine..one of the main reasons I buy the stuff in the 1st place.

Wow, people feel the need for uniforming the primer pockets and deburring the flasholes on lapua brass? Ive never needed to do that on all mine..one of the main reasons I buy the stuff in the 1st place.
Same goes for Nosler brass... They already go through and check uniformity before sending it out. Why bother with all that nonsense after you get it? Unless you shoot BR comps and win money, then maybe I could understand it...But as OCD as I am, I still don't weight-sort, deburr or uniform primer pockets and flash holes and all that crap.

If you don't think all brass, regardless of brand, needs the same preps, then you don't know anything about brass preps..

Lapua does not prep THEIR brass for YOUR gun.

As I said before. All my Lapua gets prepped, Its more like, Why spend $4000 to $5000 on a custom rifles, but yet someone will not make the time to prep their brass. Just doesn't make sense. Might as well spend a couple hundred dollars and buy the gear that's required to prep the brass and do it. The difference is in the result you'll get in the end. PERFECTION.

Well, to demonstrate to the only person on this thread that insists on including public belittling with his .02, I will explain myself in more detail.

Normally, with every other brand of brass that I have purchased, I prep the brass completely which includes pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, resize, trim, chamfer and debur and then I reload them. I have never weight sorted cases but I intend for this rifle.

Having never used Lapua brass before and hearing all the rave reviews and having read that some of these steps have already been done to brass like Nosler, I simply and without any offense, asked if Lapua PRIOR TO FIRE FORMING, required these same steps OR SHOULD I WAIT UNTIL AFTER. Perhaps I was not adequately clear with my original post and that is my fault.

I was only thinking that maybe the brass should assume a more permanent .243AI shape rather than its parent .243 PRIOR to investing the same work in it that I would normally put in any other brass. Having never had to fire form any other calibers before, I simply wasn't sure when to do what I know needed to be done. I just cant put my finger on why, upon asking for opinions and advice, some folks feel it necessary to serve it up with some sort of insult or verbal *****-kicking. Its truly not required nor warranted.

On that note, perhaps I don't know anything about prepping brass which is why I am here. To learn

Thanks to all of you for your time,

Jamie

jaybic, my response was more towards the Hunter2678 notion of replacing basic reloading with cutting checks. This doesn't actually work well.
You'll need to prep your your brass and fireform to improved cartridge regardless of brass brand.

I was not trying to offend your questioning.
Just don't want you to walk away thinking that preps shouldn't be done based on brass brand alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.