Bore Fouling?

You can say and believe what you want about barrel break in,but I shoot and clean my new barrels for the first twelve shots.Those rifles will shoot in the same group cold bore,clean or fouled.I don't go through an extensive cleaning after each shot.I run a wet patch followed by a dry patch and shoot.This is the last new rifle barrel before and after 12 shots.I used Sta-Bil CLP on a patch,followed up with a dry patch.
1Bottom photo was before shooting new barrel 2 Top photo after shooting 12 shots 3 Middle photo last 9 shots of the twelve(smallest group was a different powder and bullet)View attachment 592736View attachment 592737

View attachment 592734
What brand of barrel? Looks extremely excellent quality

I don't own ANY rifles that require fouling to be accurate…
I also don't own ANY rifles that produce cold bore shot differences, all those that have come across my path that did this were moved on.
What I want is cold bore accuracy AND fouled bore accuracy that doesn't change for 40 shots or more, not just 3-5 shots in a string.

Cheers.
As a hunter, cold bore accuracy is the only shot that matters.

No not really, as I do not shoot more than 12-15 at a sitting, makes a difference from bi pod to a bag or laying over a log ,everything changes, and in the frantic second you berried your face in the comb to help steady your cross hairs .....things change and you missed! I play with the harmonics to see if I can duplicate what I did and change that happens when I change the harmonics as to where I shoot, that is why my question was about bore fouling and shot placement, you see you learn in life all the way to your last breath and those that don't had no fun getting there! Pete

As a hunter, cold bore accuracy is the only shot that matters.
I agree.One should also check to see if the rifle's first shot out of a cold bore,clean or fouled,will stay in the group.I prefer to hunt with a fouled barrel,but say your rifle gets wet from rainy weather.You might need to clean the rifle after the hunt.Knowing whether or not that first shot is still going to be in the sight-in group when it's clean is good to know.I had one rifle years ago that would throw the first shot out of a clean barrel around four inches out of the group and would take about four rounds before it would settle.I always thought it was me until I did some testing and found out it was the rifle.

"Cold bore" and "fouled bore" are two different things. Presumably, we all hunt with cold bore rifles. However, thoroughly cleaned and oiled bores generally don't shoot like fouled bores, which is why many shooters only hunt with a fouled bore. You are still taking a cold bore shot but not on a squeaky clean barrel.

You are still taking a cold bore shot but not on a squeaky clean barrel
I start every F-class match this way, all sighters are fired from a squeaky clean barrel.
All my hunting precision rifles are also used this way, fouled barrels make the carbon harden over time.
The only rifle I have that I don't care about fouling presence is my stainless levers in 44 mag and 30-30, not because they shoot better, just because there appears no difference in accuracy.
My 1908 30-30 is kept spotless, but it will walk shots and really doesn't like jacketed bullets for some reason…

Cheers.

Every rifle is different, you need to shoot them to find out. For example, I have a factory Savage that will not put the first 5 in a 5" group at 100 with a clean barrel, but after 5-7 shots it starts shooting very tight. I've shot 3 shot groups at 100 in the .2's and 5 shot groups in the .3's with it fouled but clean it shoots like a smoothbore muzzleloader. If that's not frustrating enough it fouls fast and heavily, 50-60 rounds and the primers are well flattened. Complete pile of garbage, cured me of ever buying another one. I have a factory Remington 700 with the RR serial prefix that is generally regarded as not a very good rifle, it shoots really well cold and completely clean. Fouled and hot it shoots great too. This rifle just doesn't care what the bore condition is, it shoots to the same point of impact out to any distance I would take a shot at game with a small velocity change in the solver for the first round if going out long. Inside 300 yards the first shot with a dead clean barrel will land in the group with the following shots and no adjustment of anything is needed. It is one of my favorite rifles. I have several other rifles that just don't care what the bore condition is too, and quite a few that definitely do shoot much better with 3-5 rounds of fouling and minor but important point of impact changes as they foul over the first few shots that make them rifles I would not take a clean barrel shot on game at anything over maybe 250-300 yards. One Ruger and one Winchester both move up an inch and to the left an inch and a half at 100 over the first three shots, after that they stack bullets. Keep notes and save targets or pictures of targets, it's not too hard to figure out.

Rough, cut rifle barrels are a real *** to deal with in all respects, Brux, Krieger, and Muller are not rough.

Also, if you are dealing with a barrel that has gone through 3/4 of its life where fire cracking is evident for inches in front of the throat, you will be dealing with fouled vs non-fouled cold bore shots.

For guys that half axx clean or do not clean, there is no telling what their cold bore shots will do.

With the teslong bore scope, you can create a file on each bore, and track what it looks like through the wear patterns on that particular barrel and its characteristics.