Bore cleaner reacting with cases?

A friend introduced me to the Foul Out system. Used it and liked it so bought sufficient solvent. Then somehow damaged the electronic head. Must find a new head or someone to repair the old one, because I certainly liked the results of using it.

My only question ie why on earth do you feel it necessary to clean so often? I have shot whole matches Hunter BR and CMP Service Rifle with out cleaning . Sometimes it takes 10-20 rounds to get them shooting good groups . I bet more bores are ruined by over zealous cleaning ,than by actual rounds down the tube . Just sayin,Huntz

"My only question ie why on earth do you feel it necessary to clean so often? I have shot whole matches Hunter BR and CMP Service Rifle with out cleaning . Sometimes it takes 10-20 rounds to get them shooting good groups . I bet more bores are ruined by over zealous cleaning ,than by actual rounds down the tube . Just sayin,Huntz"

I think I am coming around to that line of thinking. It's just that you hear so many different things on the subject depending on who you talk to. Just look at this thread as an example. Sometimes, when you are trying to learn from others, it is tough to know who to listen to. Two different people will tell you completely opposite things.

I have the Outers Foul Out and depending on which chemical you put in, it will remove *all* copper or lead from your barrel and do a better job than any chemical on the market. It really is the #1 bore cleaner when it comes to copper or lead. Of course it doesn't remove grit or carbon but just about any good bore cleaner will do that (and should be done before using the Foul Out). The problem? It's hugely messy (I've never used it without spilling some somewhere!) and it can take some time. It is a very busy process. While the chemicals are discontinued by Outers, the formula to make more is easily found with a Google search, although the formula looks like it could be expensive. I haven't checked the prices.

I use Wipe Out these days and it seems to do a pretty good job, too. I have a whole slew of other chemicals as well, some that do ok and some not. However, the way I test them is to put a drop on piece of scrap brass. If it discolores the brass (or worse!), it will probably clean the barrel pretty well. One thing, the only cleaner I allow to stay in the barrel is Wipe Out. Everything else I clean out after 20 minutes or so max. As an aside, I have never once tried a "lead removing" chemical that has even the least bit of effect on a piece of pure lead! Lead must be removed with the Outers rig or scrubbed out, period!

I will also warn against using Brake Clean in conjunction with *any* solvent that contains even a hint of ammonia! If left in the barrel very long it can cause severe pitting in your carbon steel barrel. Ask me how I know this! Ok, don't bother, I totally destroyed a really nice TC Contender .223 barrel using that combonation, Brake Clean and Hoppes #9, which does contain amonia. Irked me to no end!

Getting a bit of bore solvent on your brass is not a disaster, although it should never be left in the bore or chamber! It should be deactivated and removed from the brass with alcohol or Brake Clean but be sure to get all of the liquids out completely and dry well. As to gun oil, just about any oil will do although I will not use any oil containing teflon (Rem Oil, Break Free, etc.) in the barrel, as it can cause accuracy issues. Several of the custom barrel makers used to warn of that but as they no longer do so, it may have turned out to be a rumor. I don't know for sure but I use synthetic (Mobil 1, Casteol or Rotella because that's what I happen to have!) for almost everything but especially in the barrel. I don't want to be a guinea pig!

These things I have learned over my 50+ years of shooting and testing various methods of cleaning. I now use the Bore Tech liquid cleaner and wet tumble my brass with steel pins, which makes the brass come out looking like new, inside and out. I decap before cleaning and even the primer pockets come out perfectly clean. I'm not sure when I got so anal about clean primer pockets as I have literally loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds without doing so and never had any problems (I owned a commercial reloading operation a life time ago). Today, it's an issue, just don't ask me why! I guess because I can? Beats me!
Cheers,
crkckr
Thanks for responding. It sounds like you have been around and maybe know a thing or two. Thanks to some of you others for posting too.

Always run several soaked patches of rubbing alcohol through your chamber and barrel to remove all residue left by your cleaner ,which causes fliers ,then run dry patches till dry. I assumed everyone knew to do this . This also should remove fliers from your groups. It eliminates so called fouling the barrel with several rounds in all my weapons.

Brake cleaners have some type of caustic component in it to cut the varnish on brake parts. If you have anything aluminum come in contact with brake cleaner can erode it. It will also affect stock finish also.

Brake cleaners have some type of caustic component in it to cut the varnish on brake parts. If you have anything aluminum come in contact with brake cleaner can erode it. It will also affect stock finish also.
Yea, I'm not sure what all the ill effects are of isopropyl alcohol but that's the way I'm leaning. I do know it will strip all oil away which isn't good if you are putting things away for storage. I guess the procedure should be solvent, alcohol, oil, and then alcohol again before shooting.

I think I started it as a manufacture's recommended break-in procedure but, I am beyond that now. I think I was continuing the practice to pause between groupings and try and give the barrel a chance to cool down. I'm not sure if I needed a clean bore to compare groupings. That part I may be a bit ignorant on and am willing to listen to suggestions. Following along with the discussion that has taken place in this thread, I am leaning towards to skip the cleaning at the range and wait until I get home. I usually fire between 20 and 40 rounds per rifle per range visit.

That's why I here on forum. I don't profess to be an expert on anything. I'm just here learn what I can from those who are more knowledgeable than me.

I stopped using mine as I was afraid of damageing the barrel. Anyone worry about that or it is safe? I still have a lot of the chemical

When I clean at the range I use the Sinclair Cradle , which has an extreme cant forward toward the muzzle. When used with a bore guide it reduces the chances of solvent getting into the action. Could be helpful??