Bipod for Sitting Position

One of my buddies had a Harris tripod on his rifle for sitting. He loved it, I didn't. Too much added weight for a hunting rifle. A recent shoulder injury makes this even more of a problem for me. So I'll possibly be getting rid of some rifles and switching to a lightweight chassis rifle with ARCA rail. And look for a carbon fiber tripod for sitting positions.

One of my buddies had a Harris tripod on his rifle for sitting. He loved it, I didn't. Too much added weight for a hunting rifle. A recent shoulder injury makes this even more of a problem for me. So I'll possibly be getting rid of some rifles and switching to a lightweight chassis rifle with ARCA rail. And look for a carbon fiber tripod for sitting positions.
So you’re going to trade off a bipod for a heavier tripod and head? Don’t know what a long Harris weighs, but my Hatch if fairly light and certainly not as heavy as a tripod and ball head.

So you’re going to trade off a bipod for a heavier tripod and head? Don’t know what a long Harris weighs, but my Hatch if fairly light and certainly not as heavy as a tripod and ball head.
My style of hunting is I carry the rifle in my hands just in case I spook up game while moving to hunting spots. Or when on spot and stalk hunts. So I want the rifle as light as possible to be able to swing it well for moving target shots. On some rifles I won't put a small bipod on it for this reason. I may get rid of my much love Winchester Featherweight and pick up a Sig Cross just for this reason.

My 27” Hatch weighs in at 20.3 oz with the ADM picatinny mount, there in house made mount is an ounce less.

Last edited:
I'd probably favor a tripod with ARCA set up on my rifle to attach quickly if needed. But you do have a point. I could just as easily have a ARCA or some other quick connect for a taller bipod.

My style of hunting is I carry the rifle in my hands just in case I spook up game while moving to hunting spots. Or when on spot and stalk hunts. So I want the rifle as light as possible to be able to swing it well for moving target shots. On some rifles I won't put a small bipod on it for this reason. I may get rid of my much love Winchester Featherweight and pick up an Sig Cross just for this reason.
For the same reasons you stated there are times when I do not want the Hatch bipod mounted on my gun, I have a picatinny rail with a molle attachment that I put together so I can also carry the bipod on my side, Hatch makes a neoprene pouch that you can wear on your belt that holds the bipod and it does the same thing.

I have the tall (sitting height) Harris bipod, it's always been "meh". It's a lot to attach to your rifle.

What I do like is my Stoney Point Shooting Sticks. Weigh almost nothing, not attached to the rifle, quick to deploy, easy and quick to adjust the height.

Everyone should really have a pair of them in their Bag of Tricks anyhow, and if you spend a little time with them, you might just decide you don't need a sitting height bipod.

(edited to add):

Also, if you have a good front support (say high kneeling height) you can use the shooting sticks as a rear support and get super solid.

Last edited:
I like tripods over tall bipods for the ability to pan. You get a wider field of fire from your sitting position without having to pick up and "hop" the gun with extended bipod to get on target if you critter is too far left/right. Tripods also handle prone, sitting, standing, and every position in between. They are more stable than a bipod, and can support your rifle on their own with the proper head. Because of the extra weight/stability of the platform you are lifting the rifle off the tripod instead of trying to pull the bipod off the rifle if you need to disconnect in a hurry (backdoored by coyotes). They don't have to be super heavy either, more weight in the pack but I find them invaluable.

20230417_161259.jpg