Best rest when developing a load?

Apparently reading comprehension skills are not as important in some schools as they are others.... thanks for the write up Boss you taught me something so it wasn't in vain. .

Do you shoot competitively? The next time they have an egg shoot at Tac Pro you should drive down.
I haven't shot competetiively in about 30years. I have no need or desire to. I hunt and I shoot for varmints and predator control.

They are two different worlds which is why you can't apply all of the same theories to each of them.

In your world you are trying to take the human out of the equation as much as possible. In my world that's simply not possible.

For most of my shooting I have less than sixty seconds from sighting the target, to get my truck stopped, rifle out, get on target, and pull the trigger.

I don't have thirty minutes to set up my bench, stand, sandbags, weatherometer, and punch all the data into a ballistic computer so it can tell me how to shoot.

One is not necessarily better than the other, but they are very different and thus require different approaches.

Apparently reading comprehension skills are not as important in some schools as they are others.... thanks for the write up Boss you taught me something so it wasn't in vain. .
Obviously neither are manners.

I go out of my way here to have good conversations and not to come off being a condescending *****.

You might try that sometime as well.

The only difference between shooting from a bipod that supports the rifles forearm..and shooting off a sandbag that supports it identically..is whats between your ears... Support..is support. Rested over a rock..or rested over a tree limb..or resting on sandbags...but it wont shoot when on a bipod. Yeah...right!
Actually Sully you may see some differences depending on the the type of rest and the balance point.

If you have a stock that has considerable flex to it and your rest is out at the end of the forearm you will get different results vs having the rest back closer to the reciever.

On a light weight rig in a heavy caliber there's going to be more variation due to recoil because the rifle can move more between the time the trigger is released and the bullet leaves the end of the barrel.

With a lighter contour barrel that has more whip to it, a stock with a lot of flex to it that can magnify things even more again in combination with the location of the rest.

One thing you will find with the serious long range rigs, especially competition rigs is that they try to eliminate as many of those variables as possible so as to get the most repeatable results under all conditions.

Well now I did the same thing for 30 years before I started to compete (hell still do). Was shooting hogs with my AI AWM's for many years. The Parker Hale worked like a charm on those.
The PH is one hell of a bipod.

I actually tried to get one bought a few weeks ago on Ebay but too many people found it as well during the last few minutes and the price got insane.

My hunting rigs all have Harris' on them and by comparison the harris is like trying to shoot off of wet spaghetti.

Sinclair came out with a new bipod. Saw it in an article in my NRA Rifleman magazine. It's a pretty impressive piece of equipment, but comes with a pretty impressive price too. It will be interesting to see if it takes off.

Tank

Sinclair came out with a new bipod. Saw it in an article in my NRA Rifleman magazine. It's a pretty impressive piece of equipment, but comes with a pretty impressive price too. It will be interesting to see if it takes off.

Tank

I just picked up a Caldwell Rock from Midway 2 days ago. Seems solid enough and I intend on using it from the bench. It appears well made and Midway has them for a decent price right now

I have to agree with Boss Hoss. During load development you are trying to get a set of components to work in harmony so to speak. Then you work on shooting under field conditions.

With that said, I have a remington VLS 22-250 (factory) that I am able to shoot .3 to .4 all day long off of bags and to .5 off of a mono-pod rest (coyote hunting situation) closer to the center of the forearm, however off of a bi-pod attached to the rifle I do not seem to be able to get better than about 1.2. I suspect that that is due to the pressure point that remington has built into the stock. Have not taken the time to remove the pressure point and free float the barrel to find out but that is what I suspect.:rolleyes:

I do believe that the human element is infact a variable. We don't do the same thing every time no matter how hard we try.:cool:

I have to agree with Boss Hoss. During load development you are trying to get a set of components to work in harmony so to speak. Then you work on shooting under field conditions.

With that said, I have a remington VLS 22-250 (factory) that I am able to shoot .3 to .4 all day long off of bags and to .5 off of a mono-pod rest (coyote hunting situation) closer to the center of the forearm, however off of a bi-pod attached to the rifle I do not seem to be able to get better than about 1.2. I suspect that that is due to the pressure point that remington has built into the stock. Have not taken the time to remove the pressure point and free float the barrel to find out but that is what I suspect.:rolleyes:

I do believe that the human element is infact a variable. We don't do the same thing every time no matter how hard we try.:cool:

Well said

????..Mine passes a dollar bill under it from the tip of the forearm all the way back to the receiver. My VLS 243 does have a spot where a bill will stick...but its midway down the forearm..( which I plan on opening up)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.