Best powder for LR 300 win mag

After reading a bunch of post about what is the best powder for the 300 win mag. I picked up both H1000 and RL22. As far a accuracy goes the RL22 was the best hands down. So my vote goes to RL22.

As far as barrel break in I personally don't believe in it.

Thanks for the input. RL22 definitely seems to be a favorite along with H1000. Luckily I have both on hand so I"ll have try them both out.

I get excellent accuracy with both H1000 and Retumbo. My rifle seems to like Retumbo better with an extra 100FPS and single digit ES at the accuracy max of sub.5MOA. I shoot 210 VLD's at 2900 FPS out of a 26" barrel. I don't think Retumbo is not too slow burning.

After reading a bunch of post about what is the best powder for the 300 win mag. I picked up both H1000 and RL22. As far a accuracy goes the RL22 was the best hands down. So my vote goes to RL22.

As far as barrel break in I personally don't believe in it.

RL22 was also very good in mine if the weather was good. Once the temps started to drop the loads went nuts. Stopped using it and switched to H1000. Maybe it was just my setup but RL22 just wasn't stable.

AR10 Noveske Match Barrel Break In - YouTube
IMO Barrel break in is a waste of time. Shoot it clean it.

He stole my break-in process!

Seriously, as long as I've owned guns, I've never followed one of the ritualistic hokey pokey left foot in, right foot out, hold your tongue right break-in processes, and my guns are all tack drivers.

Not saying anyone is wrong, this is just simply how I break all mine in.

He stole my break-in process!

Seriously, as long as I've owned guns, I've never followed one of the ritualistic hokey pokey left foot in, right foot out, hold your tongue right break-in processes, and my guns are all tack drivers.

Not saying anyone is wrong, this is just simply how I break all mine in.

Just so you know John uses the shoot one clean one for 2-3 rounds on his precision bolt guns.
I do the same and I feel the more elaborate processes a waste of time.

I do a thorough scrub before I take them out. Then shoot about 50 shots warming up & cooling down. Hasn't let me down yet.

I lied, I forgot when I first got my 7mmSTW I went to the range with a guy I worked with and we did the shoot 1, clean, shoot 1 clean method. That rifle is a tack-driver regardless of break-in.

Using the shoot one clean one you can see the fouling stop...usually 2nd or 3rd round.
Does this matter?
Probably not.

You might laugh at me here, but for years I used to think a lot of things I did mattered.
The more I focused on what I did and how I did it the better I shot....My rifles usually shot a fair bit better than most other guys equipment seemed capable of....Then I retired and got to the point where helping folks with their shooting mattered more than winning....I was surprised to learn their equipment and reloads were often as good as mine! All that crap I fussed over in the loading room...was pretty much worthless.
It was the tens of thousands of rounds I was sending that made "my rifles shoot".

I preach a different sermon these days...I don't talk about single digit runout or even suggest that Savage sucks any more....:)) )....Just KIDDING!

All you will hear from me these days is "send more rounds down range" or "square up your trigger pull"....That sort of thing....truth is nothing else really matters.
It is also true that I enjoy shooting more now than I ever have.

Using the shoot one clean one you can see the fouling stop...usually 2nd or 3rd round.
Does this matter?
Probably not.

You might laugh at me here, but for years I used to think a lot of things I did mattered.
The more I focused on what I did and how I did it the better I shot....My rifles usually shot a fair bit better than most other guys equipment seemed capable of....Then I retired and got to the point where helping folks with their shooting mattered more than winning....I was surprised to learn their equipment and reloads were often as good as mine! All that crap I fussed over in the loading room...was pretty much worthless.
It was the tens of thousands of rounds I was sending that made "my rifles shoot".

I preach a different sermon these days...I don't talk about single digit runout or even suggest that Savage sucks any more....:)) )....Just KIDDING!

All you will hear from me these days is "send more rounds down range" or "square up your trigger pull"....That sort of thing....truth is nothing else really matters.
It is also true that I enjoy shooting more now than I ever have.

That's good stuff right there! I'm with you guys for sure on all of this. Good to get some discussion going over all this, best part of this forum is to capture the knowledge that is out there, so thanks for speaking up.

My own thinking on breaking in a barrel is just based on common sense. I think with any top-quality custom barrel that the tolerances are so high 'breaking in' is not going to do anything. Maybe the first 1 or 2 shots will just get the copper imbedded into the bore, I guess that's the same after you clean it.

And speaking of cleaning, I've been doing a new "process" that has been working great for me and my barrel fouls much less. I'm thinking at this point that I am straying off topic... maybe I should start a new thread ..."breaking in a cleaning a LR rifle". I think lots of other guys would have some great input on this.

In. My 300 Win Mag Rem 700P 5R

Reloader 22 with 180 to 190gr bullets

H1000 with 210 to 230gr bullets

WW brass with Fed 215M GM primers

The Nosler Accubond 190gr and RL 22 is sure a joy to shoot

Lots of H1000 users and it works very well for sure. With the 210 Berger, Federal brass, 215GM, and Retumbo from a 29 inch Krieger, I get better accuracy and velocity.

I'm scratching my head after reading this thread. I'm another one using H1000 in my 300 win but I'm finding my load to be more temp sensitive than any other load I've ever used in any caliber/cartridge (except for ball powders) including any that have used RL15, 19, 22 or 25.

At 25 degrees they're 2600'sec. At 75 degrees they're 2700'sec. No joke and they're doing it consistently. Load is 71.5 h1000 under 210ablr lit by the 210match.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts