Best hunting crossbow?

I purchased my bow a few years ago, so its not the latest technology but i love it, its a Ten Point. I can't use it out in CO, but i use it back in PA during archery season. Its amazing in a shotgun only unit, i trust its accuracy over a slug gun anyway.

I sold 3 rifles out of my military rifle collection and made a handsome profit so I decided to go Excalibur bow shopping. Found on eBay from Pine Mountain Archery a NEW 2018 Matrix Bull Dog 380 suppressor package for $652 which is about $400 cheaper than anyplace else. Weather and time permitted me to shoot it after work just before dark yesterday evening. WOW. I only shot from 10 yards off hand just to get the scope centered. I was only shooting one arrow at a time after 4 shots I had it centered and then shot at the same spot three different times and put the arrow in the same hole all three times. Can't wait to be able to bench shoot it out further and get the speed ring and marks dialed in. Going to give the Muzzty trocar HBX 100gr broadheads a try because of all the good things I hear about their accuracy and lethality. I also picked up a 3 pack of Muzzy Trocar 100 gr fixed blade broadheads today at the local WalMart that they had marked down to $7.

I've hunted with compound bows since the 70's and never thought i would want a crossbow. Then one day I was going through a scheels store and saw a ravin R9 it was so cool I had to shoot it and see what i thought. Well I was so impressed i left the store with it. Very well designed and being able to crank it back down after a hunt is a plus to me. Its been a great hunting bow for me and I can imagine the new ones are even better.

I have a Scorpyd Ventilator and it is really great but my favorite is the Mission Dagger - it's my go to crossbow right now.

Ravin R-20.
I have a Scorpyd and my friend has R-20 so I have shot both.We practice together and usually hunt together. Ravin is more compact, more accurate, easy to cock and de-cock. If money is no objective definitely Ravin.

Excaliburs are also hard to beat overall,look for xbows with machine finished rails instead of molded plastic, they will be more accurate. If you want something smaller, check out the tornado from Parker or the turbo xlt from ten point, both very good models.

But don't think that accurate,fast,lightweight,small, durable will not come without a price. There is rarely the best, cheapest thing out their

It may be a good idea to check on the hunting regulations in the state you intend to hunt in before making any purchases. Obscure laws are popping up that could limit your selection for a hunting crossbow.

In New York a hunting crossbow must have a minimum limb width of 17" uncocked, excluding wheels. That should eliminate all of the Ravins and a few other popular models. The current law also confines draw weight to 100lbs-200lbs. That would eliminate any of the stronger crossbows.

Just something to consider before making a final decision.

For deer and pigs, Fusions in 150gr and 175gr should work great. I don't have a 7mag but they've been good for me out of my 270. For bigger game stateside or plains game, Federal loads 160gr Trophy Bonded Tips and 175gr Bearclaws that give near 3000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy with a premium bullet.

Can you tell I'm a Federal fan?

If price isn't an option which latest and greatest crossbow would you rank the highest for big game hunting. I mostly hunt open country in the Western US so there would be an advantage having a flat shooting, fast crossbow for long range shooting. I would be willing to pay more for quality!
I and many that I have read stories by will tell you there is no long range shooting with archery equipment as a rule, you may get lucky at times if a deer is completely relaxed, but then again you may also end up crippling the deer ! No matter how fast any bow is it will never be as fast as the speed of SOUND and that is why there can NEVER truly be what is called a long range bow ! They can react in a fraction of a second after hearing the sounds of a bow and there is no bow that quiet that I or any of the people I am talking about has ever seen, most high powered rifles can be made quieter than an X-BOW can be made ! facing the facts, I would think 40 yards shots may be stretching the ethical distance that a shot from an X-Bow should be taken ! They are very accurate and many could hit the vitals of an animal at 75 or even a 100 yards, but there is NO GARANTEE that animal will be in the same position when the bolt reaches it, even if the bow isn't heard ! This makes long range shooting with a bow unethical to the majority of people that I have read stories from and other sensible archers that I talk to ! Go to the bow shops and ask the pros there how fast a deer can react to ANY archery equipment! If the are honest and not just trying to sell the latest fastest bows they will tell you the same thing that I just did, some may give you an extra 10 yards, but I will not take the chance shooting farther than I am positive of being able to hit the vitals of a deer every time, regardless of the noise my bow might make ! To show you how fast they can react, I watched a total of 24 deer go up by me one morning on a trail that ended up being about 55 yards from me, they were not together, but came buy a few at a time through the morning, I was using a compound bow, a New Wave Point Blank and it was a relatively fast bow at that time, not near as fast as some of the newer ones out today, but as I was about to quite for the day a large doe was coming up that trail and I was trigger happy at this time and decided to take a shot that I knew I shouldn't take ! I drew just before she entered what I thought would be the opening that was the closest she would get to me on that trail I was just ready to stop her when she stopped on her own and I had my 40 yard pin high on her LEFT shoulder and released the arrow, she dropped instantly and began to turn around and as she was about turned my arrow struck her in the right side of the neck ! This is prof beyond doubt of how fast they can react, I was very LUCKY that I didn't cripple her and have her run of to die ! Taking long shots with archery equipment is only asking for trouble, if your not 100% sure that your shot will be more than likely a killing shot it should not be taken! The shot I took I knew I should not have taken and was just lucky that it didn't end up bad, I have never taken over about a 35 yard shot since then and my X-Bow that I use now is zinging arrows at over 365 fps and I would still limit my shots to 40 yards MAX on a relaxed animal ! If I am not good enough hunter to get the animal 40 yards or closer I will pass ! I learned my lesson many years ago !

I like my Excalibur! No cams. bells ..whistles.. But it shoots!
They have a 100% lifetime warranty also ! 10 Point did when they first came out but only warrant their limbs now for 5 years, and they want 3 times or more than what they are worth ! I have a bow from a company that has only been in business about 5 years but they appeared to have a great looking bow and all the options that the 10 Point had that I dreamed about owning some day, but it had a 100 % lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, as long as you had any bow shop go over it once every 3 years, I just had mine gone over last fall and they commented on how tight everything was and it didn't need any adjustment at all, the original string and cables are still on it and I have killed every deer I have ever shot with it, and had complete pass throughs ! It is I believe every bit as accurate as my two brothers Excalibur bows and probably as the 10 points, they can only be as good as the shooter and my bow and the Excalibur bows will hit your 1st arrow you shot if you aim at the same place ! My bow only cost about a third of what my brothers cost and about 1/4 of what they wanted for the comparable model in a 10 point ! Three things concern me however with the Excalibur bows, they are very accurate, but they do not go onto safety when they are cocked and most models available when I bought mine are way too wide to suit me, they have been known to scare many deer because of this, by banging into something when trying to get ready for a shot ! and the last thing I do not think they are as fast as they are said to be, because my brothers is to shoot 350fps mine is to shoot 365+ but mine makes their Excalibur's look like they are in slow motion! At 40 yards they look even slower and have a much more visible arch ! Most all of the bows on the market today will more than get the job done, so I look for the best warranty and the best price, but I feel that I got both of them and also very good looks from my purchase, and I would never pay for a name and some of the issues I don't even like that the two other bows have, but each person has different tastes and dislikes !

Scorpyd Ventilator or Orion 160, even though I have a Vent 135. If was able to cock it, I'd have a Vent 160 Extreme.

Yup. Scorpyd or Excalibur. I love my scorpyd 165 impressively fast and stupid accurate. Most accurate crossbow I have ever shot bar non. My Excalibur Mega 405 is also awesome almost as accurate but indestructible. nothing to break well u know. Almost nothing. Limbs can but not mine so far.

I am looking to add a 3 crossbow and it will be either another scorpyd or Excalibur.

Hey if u call scorpyd for help or anything guess who answers Jim k. Owner. Atleast that's who answers when I call. Cant beat that.

Good luck with your decision. Lots of good out there for sure.