Best Dall sheep outfitter in North America

I heard great things about Ravens Throat as well. In speaking with Grizz, he stated they will be taking verbal commitments for 2030 starting in Nov of this year.

Gana river is highly recommended as well. I spoke with Harold a couple months back and he seems like a great guy. He had a couple spots left for 2028 at the time, which I believe are now filled. So looking 2029 now. I almost booked with them, but didn't want to wait 4 years.

Regarding Keele River - they may have some earlier openings. When Canol changed hands, the hunters who were booked were contacted by the new owners and told they could keep their spot, but the price is higher OR could receive a refund. I heard of a few guys on a different forum that decided they'd rather have the refund.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the NWT outfitters. Like Mark mentioned, it's just kind of up to you and what type of hunt you're looking for.

Ravens Throat booked through 2029
Gana River through 2027, 2 spots still open for 2028
I went with Gana River in 2018 and through meeting people on forums, getting reference calls, etc., I know at least 1 person every year who hunts with them. I keep in touch with Harold and my guide, and cannot say enough good things about the entire operation, but it would be ignorant of me to proclaim them "The Best" when I haven't hunted with all other outfitters. I met many people in Norman Wells coming back from ARRO, MMO, etc. who all raved about their trips, and you will see the writeups online as well. I truly believe you cannot go wrong with ANY of the outfitters in the NWT, whereas I do not think that is true for the Yukon and Alaska.

Let us know where you end up going.

Looks to be a no go for the foreseeable future.
Either the outfitter is booked too far out, it's WAY to expensive or they do not return calls/emails.
I will also add that Alaska is not on my list as the sheep numbers are on a decline and resident hunters along with other factors reduce the success rate for harvest. Recent area closures impact the state to a large extent.
So that leaves Canada.

Last edited:
Looks to be a no go for the foreseeable future.
Either the outfitter is booked too far out, it's WAY to expensive or they do not return calls/emails.
I will also add that Alaska is not on my list as the sheep numbers are on a decline and resident hunters along with other factors reduce the success rate for harvest. Recent area closures impact the state to a large extent.
So that leaves Canada.
Just a thought, but keep in mind that a lot of these guys are in the bush at the moment and emails don't seem to be their top priority this time of year. In early November a lot of them will become more available and you may have more luck contacting them. I wouldn't stress the lack of communication yet.