Best $800-$1200 TYD 10x42 class binocular? (not really for hunting)

entoptics

What's your opinion on the best bang for the buck 10x42 (maybe 10x50) class binoculars in the $800-$1200 TYD range (perhaps $900 - $1300 street price before a good sale or coupon)?

My old man is looking for a nice set, but nothing too crazy. For perspective he's been reasonably happy with a pair of 20 year old Nikons that he claims were "top of the line" at the time he bought them.

No need for ultra light, ultra tough, etc, as he's 74 years old, doesn't really do much if any big game hunting, and just wants a nice pair for hiking, truck duty, and general use. Basically a reasonably durable set with the best clarity/FOV in his budget, that aren't too bulky to pack on long hikes (he still gets around pretty dang good).

I'm thinking it would hard to go wrong with a set of Vortex Razor HD 10x42 (maybe even the Viper HD), but figured I'd poll the peanut gallery for other options.

Thoughts?

What's your opinion on the best bang for the buck 10x42 (maybe 10x50) class binoculars in the $800-$1200 TYD range (perhaps $900 - $1300 street price before a good sale or coupon)?

My old man is looking for a nice set, but nothing too crazy. For perspective he's been reasonably happy with a pair of 20 year old Nikons that he claims were "top of the line" at the time he bought them.

No need for ultra light, ultra tough, etc, as he's 74 years old, doesn't really do much if any big game hunting, and just wants a nice pair for hiking, truck duty, and general use. Basically a reasonably durable set with the best clarity/FOV in his budget, that aren't too bulky to pack on long hikes (he still gets around pretty dang good).

I'm thinking it would hard to go wrong with a set of Vortex Razor HD 10x42 (maybe even the Viper HD), but figured I'd poll the peanut gallery for other options.

Thoughts?
Missed out on the Cabela's recent Viper $299 sale and Razor HD $500-$600 sale.

It's very hard to want to pay more than these prices for them after knowing how cheap they recently sold for brand new. I'm really glad I bought a Kowa instead.

I'd recommend the Kowa Prominar Genesis 10x33 (Kowas top of the line series) when they go on sale for $999 or even at regular price $1100-$1200 I think they're worth buying. You would need to spend double for a Swarovski in order to edge this one out in optics. I chose the 33mm due to wider FOV compared to the larger heavier ones and this one weighs in at under 21oz and very compact and easy to handle and has fluorite glass.

It is night and day clearer than the Vortex Razor HD and Zeiss Conquest HD and has zero chromatic aberration according to my own eyes.

The only binoculars I would replace my Kowa with is the Swarovski NL Pure 10x32.

If you want to try something extremely cheap with unbelievable too good the be true quality and have an open mind, the ScoopX for under $100 on eBay (sometimes you can even find sellers selling them for under $50) is equivalent to if not better than the $499 Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2 which actually competes with the more than double the price Vortex Razor HD. Buy one from an eBay seller that offers returns (if you don't believe me how awesome the ScoopX is) or you could pay $225 for them on Amazon (Lowest they sold for were around $190).

If you know anyone with an Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2 or Vortex Razor HD or Zeiss Conquest HD, those would be worthy binoculars to compare the ScoopX to side by side. Don't knock it till you try it. You'd probably feel ripped off spending $1000 on other binoculars (except the Kowa) after trying one of these.

The next budget recommendations are the Athlon Midas Gen 1s 10x42 and 8x42 at Walmart online for under $200 a piece. They're excellent slightly clearer than the Vipers almost as clear as the Razor HDs but not as clear nor have field flatteners that the ScoopX has though.

Edited just checked Walmart online and noticed they upped the prices for the Midas binoculars so just buy the Cronus UHD Gen 2 10x42 for $416.09 on Amazon with option to return within 30 days after comparing it to the ScoopX to see how even they compare at 5x to 6x the price. The Cronus UHD Gen 2 is comparable to the Razor HD and Zeiss HD and the much cheaper and lighter weight ScoopX.

Last edited:
Either buy a pair for under $500. Or find a pair of swaro el 10x42.

Trying to thread the $1000 needle i have found to be a waste

Go to a birder website and look up sightron blue sky. I got them for $120 and they are very nice for the price. I do also have swaros. Birders are insane about glass quality.

Here is a cellphone picture through my sightron blue sky

1000034086.jpg

Last edited:
Leupold BX4 are pretty phenomenal for their price point. Lightweight and well built. Vortex Vipers have good glass, but you'll send them in often for build quality issues.

In that range you can get the Leica Trinovids, Zeiss Conquest, Leupold BX-5, Vortex Razor…I'm sure there's a Meopta in that range too. That's pretty much what I'd look at. When I looked at them all I like the Leicas the most. I ended up busting my budget and got the SLCs for about $500 more. If you could find some used SLCs or even the Kahles that are what the SLCs were that's what I'd get. Good luck.

Recent Posts