Berger .224 55 gr Match Flat Base on varmints

Unless you're working to save the pelts, I'd consider the idea of trying to hit bone with that bullet. That should help in anchoring them especially as the ranges go longer.

Back in the day, I used to call in and take 40-50 yotes a winter (from Dec 1st or so to the end of Jan) for pelts. During these 8 weeks I'd work hard to stay off bone and did most of my work with a 6/06. Now that my friend is a serious yote rifle:)

I never hunted yotes for the pelts, but that may change now. I generally use my AR with 53 gr Vmax's as my do all rifle. I just wanted to use the 22-250 for more range. I could always screw on a spare 1-7" on the AR and use 73gr Vmax's.

l dont think so X...221fb needs speed. 3400fps inside 200yds for 35gr works much better than 55s lumbering/wobbling along@2600

Why not just buy some VMAX or NBTs and be done with it? Hollowing out Bergers to make them kill seems like a pointless waste of time...I've yet to see a rifle that wouldnt shoot under, or at least 1/2 MOA with vmaxs or NBTs. 53g VMAX is what I use for varmints. With a .290 BC, and $20/100, explosive as anything you'll find in a varmint bullet, and under 1/2 MOA, what more can you ask for?

I post this earlier but here it goes. My barrel is a 1-14" that's pretty shot out. It keyholes 50gr vmaxs. 40gr vmax shoot okay but I'm not a fan. 53gr vmax need a 1-12" twist, if 50gr keyhole no point in wasting those.The 55gr Berger Match were tried on a win and shot great. Drilling them out isn't an uncommon practise. It's more clearing the tips than actual drilling them. In any case they are J4 jackets so they should do the job just fine.

Why not just buy some VMAX or NBTs and be done with it? Hollowing out Bergers to make them kill seems like a pointless waste of time...I've yet to see a rifle that wouldnt shoot under, or at least 1/2 MOA with vmaxs or NBTs. 53g VMAX is what I use for varmints. With a .290 BC, and $20/100, explosive as anything you'll find in a varmint bullet, and under 1/2 MOA, what more can you ask for?
This is your answer!
Hollow points, regardless of what the box says, just don't explode like the plastic tipped or even a good old fashioned lead tip varmint bullet.
You can use the hollow points, they are very accurate, but just be willing to accept that you will not get the explosive bullet action most of the time and also you will get some varmints that run or crawl away.
YMMV but this is based off busting varmints for the last 45 ish years.
Gary

I've used hollowpoints that were too explosive. Example is Berger 52 Match Hunting in 22-250.

The only way I can see a varmint bullet being too explosive is if you are hunting for pelts. Just speaking for myself, I like to see carnage at the target when hunting or shooting varmints. If your hunting pelts then you have to be aware of that and adjust accordingly.
Gary

This is your varmint on hollow points -

0EA8A01D-11B6-4401-B7F1-2C3EA830B51B.png

This is your varmint on Varmint bullets -

F8C27B34-1C87-4684-8BD8-FF6FD40358D3.png

The only way I can see a varmint bullet being too explosive is if you are hunting for pelts. Just speaking for myself, I like to see carnage at the target when hunting or shooting varmints. If your hunting pelts then you have to be aware of that and adjust accordingly.
Gary
I had the 52gr Berger Match Hunting explode on the surface of a yote which sent it running. I finally got it down but wasn't real happy with the results. I don't take pictures of everything I shoot. I'm pretty specific about the bullet selection in the original post. If you have ACTUAL experiences with that particular bullet then by all means express them. Otherwise thank you for your input and have a nice day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.