Bear attractants????

porkchop401

Well fellas , I am heading to Idaho GMU27 in September , We will bear and deer hunting . Our plan is to arrive 4 days before season to begin glassing and once we find an area that has reasonable sign we will spike in the area away from our vista's we plan to ambush from. Now here is my question I will not be hunting over any type of bait station as described by the fish and game folks but would like to use some sort of commercially available attractant that is not considered bait that may be sprayed or smeared for the odor it will emit . Is this legal and what are your opinion's as to what smell is most effective. Ps this is our first trip to ID we are not sure what to expect.

One of my favorite "smell attractants" is take a gallon jug of used fry oil add a couple bottles of anise oil(the black licorice stuff) and a bottle of liquid smoke mix it up and spray it all of over the place. Another one I really like is blue berry syrup. You could try doing a "burn" I'm not sure on the rules in Idaho but in Minnesota its allowed and it definitely puts off quite a bit of smell. Good luck!

When I was at the Harrisburg PA. Outdoor Sport Show a few years ago a Maine Owner & Guide of a area in northern Maine showed me his little trick and I might add he has a 90% success rate. He took a big chunk of chocolate bar and put it in a empty coffee can, put the can over some hot coals from a small fire and just let it smolder and smoke. Just saying, he had some impressive pictures there. Don't know if that's legal where your going.

I guess there could be baiting bears, and then there could be fooling bears into thinking
theres bait. But not being guilty of actually baiting them?
Makes sence to me that one might be legal and the other not. lol

Sardine oil. Pour on tree trunk. Watch for new scratches. Makes a great lead for brer bruin into an ambush funnel. Set up away from where the bears will be moving. Bruin spooks easy.

Bio is dead on. here in alaska the best way to hunt fall bears is to hit the alpine. they're done with the fish and moving into the berries. I've had days were 5-10 bears were spotted all up in the alpine on berries.

I spoke with a Biologist and he said Berry's , berry's , Berry's , spend more time glassing instead of fooling with bait. He explained that bait is far less effective once the 'berrys are ripe.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.