Basspro messed up - Leupold XV6

If it were me (and it's not) I'd keep the TMOA reticle scope. It's reticle is more useable.

I have the Fire Dot and have shot it to 1,100 yards on steel. I prefer a reticle such as the Wind Plex or TMOA over the FD, which I have also shot to 1,100 yds.
+1. I have both reticles and have considered sending my FD to Leupold to change to TMOA.

Thank you everyone who replied - I've really appreciated the input!

To the folks saying keep the TMOA - if I'm planning on only using the turrets and not the reticle, would you still keep it?
I guess I haven't seen the firedot in person, but most of my shots would be within 500yards.

And to the people referencing God and karma - I called BassPro and they could care less if I kept it. They just want me to have the scope I want.

I don't know if this is assumed but this scope would be for hunting.

Last edited:
I would still prefer the TMOA reticle over the FD even if dialing for distance. Reason being the reticle would still be useful for impacts that are off target (assuming you can spot the hit with cartridge/gun combination).

I have the FD reticle and have used it with success on targets out to 1,100 yards. However I prefer my other reticles that have more useful reticles, especially windage useful reticles.

Thank you everyone who replied - I've really appreciated the input!

To the folks saying keep the TMOA - if I'm planning on only using the turrets and not the reticle, would you still keep it?
I guess I haven't seen the firedot in person, but most of my shots would be within 500yards.

And to the people referencing God and karma - I called BassPro and they could care less if I kept it. They just want me to have the scope I want.

I don't know if this is assumed but this scope would be for hunting.
Well there you go, honesty is the best policy. It all boils down to how you will use the scope. When I was stationed in GA most of the hunting was in dense swamplands with not many long shots. So I imagine a Firedot would be the better reticle. If most of your shots are going to be in open areas then the TMOA would be better. Since you have the scope I'd run out early morning, or an even and check how the reticle looks in the area you would hunt. The longer shots you'd probably dial anyways so the advantage would be towards the TMOA for a quick follow up shot if needed. But either reticle should work when dialing.

Hey all, new to the forum here!

I'd like to get some opinions on something- I ordered a Leupold XV6-HD 4-24 x 52 scope from Basspro last week.
I originally ordered the FireDot version but I received the illuminated TMOA version instead.

Should I just keep it?

I struggle to find use in the TMOA version because the scope is a second focal plane scope. Am I missing something? The TMOA version is $200 more expensive than the FireDot.
Is it the ZL3 or ZL2 elevation turret? My ZL3 turret gave just enough correction to get me on target at 1-mile and that was with 0-MOA rings.

As many have said, the TMOA is far more usefull (should you decide to use it). At the end of the day get what you want but IMO I'd stick with the the TMOA. The center is always the center so it can be treated the same as the firedot. Yet, you have the option to use subtentions if you so choose. Never know, you might end up liking subtentions....which you will now have the option of using with the TMOA.

This all makes sense.

But question from a learning standpoint - if the scope is SFP I still struggle to trust the reticle without doing the calculations first. Even for wind adjustments wouldn't it change depending on my zoom?

Hope this question makes sense. I'm new to long range shooting.