Barrel not straight in stock.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. Here are some pics of what I’m talking about. I am able to float a dollar bill all the way to recoil lug but I can feel a slight rub on that left side. Like I mentioned I did take a socket wrapped with sandpaper and slightly removed some material and it helped somewhat but did not want to remove too much.

The work on the receiver and barrel swap was done by carbon 6.

I do have the trigger installed will take that off and see if that helps center things up

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpeg
    IMG_0821.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0823.jpeg
    IMG_0823.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 74
Many suggestions. First I would not modify anything until I identified the cause of the issue. The suggestion of simply putting the action in another stock if available is a good one. It the barrel clearance is still incorrect the chance of it being your new stock is slim. Removing the trigger assy is also a good suggestion. I have frequently found the safety on after market triggers required some "relief" because of slight binding on a new stock. "Truing" means different things to different folks. It can be done well or poorly. Old adage if you decide to modify something start with the cheapest thing first.
Ga. precision machine
1. Measure with a micrometer.
2. Mark with chalk.
3. If you do not have a chain saw, cut with an axe.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. Here are some pics of what I’m talking about. I am able to float a dollar bill all the way to recoil lug but I can feel a slight rub on that left side. Like I mentioned I did take a socket wrapped with sandpaper and slightly removed some material and it helped somewhat but did not want to remove too much.

I do have the trigger installed will take that off and see if that helps center things up
I have 3 pure precision altitude stocks, all for savages. I had one that was similar and bedded the recoil lug with tape around the barrel like you mentioned earlier. It now sits dead center in the barrel channel.

Like I said,
If you’re near your GS, have him determine if it is a stock issue.
Take a picture showing the issue, send it to where you purchased the stock (or manufacturer, and hope they replace it or have recommendations.
If you are willing to accept the defect, that is up to you.

I had one off centered like the pictures.It was on a H.S. Precision Remington Sendero stock with a full length aluminum bedding block.The issue was the recoil lug wasn't making full contact with the bedding block at the rear of the recoil lug.In other words,the recoil lug was floating and had a lot of room to allow the whole action to move around,relying on the screws being tight enough to hold everything in place.I wrapped the barrel enough to float and center the barrel in the stock,then bedded the recoil lug and tang.This corrected the issue.I've found many times the rear of recoil lugs do not make contact in the stocks.This will cause accuracy issues if not corrected.

I am able to float a dollar bill all the way to recoil lug but I can feel a slight rub on that left side.
Use a business card. Paper a few thousandths of an inch thick isn't enough clearance. The barrel flexes under recoil and will contact the barrel channel if there's only a hair's thickness of clearance. Assuming you ordered the stock with the correct barrel profile inletting there should be plenty of clearance- there is nothing to be gained with minimal clearance in a barrel channel, more is better (within reason, natch) for air circulation/barrel cooling.

Plenty of high-speed video documentation of this online.

Recent Posts