Barrel Fluting

Or they use it to inflate the pricing to the government?
Go to a big shoot and look at the top 15 shooters rifles.
How many are fluted? Believe me if it helped they would be!
Actually if we could check it the barrel changes every time it's shot
It relieves stresses through vibration and heat.
Yeah, weight vs. accuracy trade off at that extreme.
If he is building a pure bench I agree.
Just pointing out that the weight savings balance trade is not imaginary.
Fluting has benefits, but if total weight is no concern, then no.

I saw one with 6 spiral flats that looked sharp! I have both? It's not a deal breaker on a trade. I would pass on a new build. Fluting compared to say first class rings?About the same cost.
Chrome don't get you home!

I have a GAP Hospitaller with a fluted Bartlein barrel. It does look cool no denying that, according to Frank at Bartlein it saves 12 ounces on a 24 inch barrel. If and when I ever have to re-barrel the Hospitaller it will go back for a same replacement with Cerakoteing. Won't be cheap that's for sure.
Now on my strictly competition guns I don't flute. Number one reason is to save the money on what I consider a disposable item which will be replaced after X number of rounds. Same goes for Cerakote. Don't need it on a competition rifle. Just another added expense. It is an option to make weight if you had too, but since there are other cheaper ways I'd opt for that. It does not make the rifle shoot any better so on my competition rigs I'll pass.

If a barrel is fluted correctly they can still shoot extremely well. Almost every barrel I've shot over the last 10years have been fluted and shot well. But to be honest the nonfluted barrels have shot well too. As far as a hunting rifle I think you are good to go either way. My competition guns weren't fluted but I would try one. On a true benchrest rifle you may see if a fluted Barrel has more poi change.

Thanks for all the good info. I'll likely not be getting flutes in the .50 BMG barrel I am getting for the HTI.

Jbs2014 I think you are making a good decision. I have a 26 inch stst fluted barrel on my 338 wm.
My biggest challenge is the barrel multiple reflective surfaces. If you dont wrap the stainless barrel it is like walking with a disco ball with all those mirrors in the sun. People and animals see you a mile away!

jbs , I was doing a little research on carbon barrels this morning , and found this thread on accurate shooter forum . the guys are talking about fluted barrels , I thought you might be interested .
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/carbon-wrap-barrel-question.3985503/

I have two rifles with fluted barrels . I really can't say if there is any advantage , I will say these are two of my best shooting rifles so in my opinion there is no disadvantage .

I have a couple fluted barrels. All are very accurate. I really like the looks. Mine are hunting rifles though. So first shots count. Have never shot more than 3 in a row, so heating is not my main concern. Cold bore goes where #2 & 3 go.
28" Rock Creek "Sendero" spiral fluted saved me.10oz.
25.5" Bartlein #3b spiral fluted saved my 5.5oz.
26" Bartlein #3b straight fluted saved me 4oz.

Focusing on a 50bmg platform (and applicable to varying degrees to smaller calibers).
Fluting removes weight. Obviously the deeper the flute and quantity reduce more weight but at the decrease in strength of the barrel ie... increased harmonics.
Cooling area does increase but on shallow flutes minimally as you are removing a cord of blank length and replacing it with a cord of slightly longer length (CAD a barrel).
Wrapped barrels: the strands go the wrong way in order to dissipate heat. They retain heat (this has been noted in earlier posts to great detail).
Obviously the end user has to place the three main categories in their preferred order of importance: harmonics, heat or weight.
Please look at our barrels on TACOMHQ. Our barrels have been extensively modeled in high end computer simulations and field results absolutely back them up including 3rd party results. We can calculate the barrel well within a half a pound typically for those making a weight class.
For the 50 application a 1.8" diameter barrel will weigh 13-19lbs based on lengths of 30-40" long. A 32" 1.5" diameter barrel is 6-7lbs. Its cooling area will be 300+% greater than a solid barrel as they are truly radiators. They will be 50+% stiffer for the same weight. They will have a longer barrel life. They will typically be much more forgiving during load workups. Testimonies do exist including from Cal's- Let's just say he was nearly dumbfounded when he shot our barrels and is ordering one (see his video). Members from AB, JJRock, GPG, Cutting Edge .. are all testing our barrels. Videos from 3rd parties attest to all of the noted claims.
We use all of the major blank producers including K&P. We take a great barrel and improve its base attributes.
We are entering several DT projects (ELR) so this is (or could be) good timing.
How confident do we feel about our barrels? If they don't shoot as good as your comparable barrel we will buy it back.

Flutes look cool, and I have a few. However, for the guy on a budget, dropping down a contour weight would accomplish the same thing.

For super accuracy, I am very Leary of going below a #4 contour, and prefer a #5. I walk to and from fixed stands.

When fluting a barrel, if the barrel is not supported directly below the cut, the barrel will warp springing away from the cut. Best to get a barrel fluted by the maker when the barrel is made. Some guys are set up to flute barrels, but you had better know their technique before it is done.

Accuracy is a relative thing as people's thoughts on the subject are all different. If you are wanting two inch groups at 600, then you need to be real picky on the details.

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

TACOMHQ Barrels- less whip, less weight, more cooling.

I was shooting yesterday with my custom 300 rum along with my buddy and his 300wm. Mine is fluted his is not, mine is ceracoted his is not mine is 28" his 26" both stainless both Remington sendero contour. Shooting side by side my barrel would cool faster than his. Just by feel it was quite a bit cooler faster than his. But fluting doe's make the barrel stiffer and it has more surface area that is what makes it cool faster with more rigidity. But as for heating up more metal takes longer to heat up but longer to cool. Let your necessity be the deciding factor long shot string vs small, light vs heavy, and o yea money.

Focusing on a 50bmg platform (and applicable to varying degrees to smaller calibers).
Fluting removes weight. Obviously the deeper the flute and quantity reduce more weight but at the decrease in strength of the barrel ie... increased harmonics.
Cooling area does increase but on shallow flutes minimally as you are removing a cord of blank length and replacing it with a cord of slightly longer length (CAD a barrel).
Wrapped barrels: the strands go the wrong way in order to dissipate heat. They retain heat (this has been noted in earlier posts to great detail).
Obviously the end user has to place the three main categories in their preferred order of importance: harmonics, heat or weight.
Please look at our barrels on TACOMHQ. Our barrels have been extensively modeled in high end computer simulations and field results absolutely back them up including 3rd party results. We can calculate the barrel well within a half a pound typically for those making a weight class.
For the 50 application a 1.8" diameter barrel will weigh 13-19lbs based on lengths of 30-40" long. A 32" 1.5" diameter barrel is 6-7lbs. Its cooling area will be 300+% greater than a solid barrel as they are truly radiators. They will be 50+% stiffer for the same weight. They will have a longer barrel life. They will typically be much more forgiving during load workups. Testimonies do exist including from Cal's- Let's just say he was nearly dumbfounded when he shot our barrels and is ordering one (see his video). Members from AB, JJRock, GPG, Cutting Edge .. are all testing our barrels. Videos from 3rd parties attest to all of the noted claims.
We use all of the major blank producers including K&P. We take a great barrel and improve its base attributes.
We are entering several DT projects (ELR) so this is (or could be) good timing.
How confident do we feel about our barrels? If they don't shoot as good as your comparable barrel we will buy it back.
I have read about those structured barrels you make. Can you make one that will fit in a desert tech HTI?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.