Ballistics Question

Savage13

Hey yall. Thanks in advance for the prompt answers. I own a Savage M10 .308 win in the Choate tactical stock. She has a 26" barrel and 1 in 10 twist rate. my original load was the Sierra 155 MK Plama (2156) sadly finding any more boxes of this in my company as well as anywhere else is seemingly impossible. That load of the 155 SMK Palma with 44.5 grns of Varget was giving me 3/8" groups @ 100 yards, repeatedly nailing an 8'' gong @ 650 yards and ringing steel (18''x24'') @ 1220. As I can not get more boxes I changed to the Berger 155.5 fullbore. With the same powder charge and the bullet set in to the lands I can get 5 shots in to a dime @ 100 yards. I have not tried this load @ ranges greater then 100 yrds. My question to yall fine shooters is this. The Bergers which run me $42 @ Running's ( not where I work (Cabela's)) are 2 times the price of the Nosler Custom Competition 155s. We also do not carry the Berger 155.5 fullbore and I am trying to save a little cash. How much difference would yall think one would see if I swapped to the Nosler 155 CCs? We do carry the Berger 155 VLD hunting as well but once again they are $45. I would really enjoy if yall can let me know what yall would expect the differences to be. I know that a "Palma" style bullet has less bearing surface then a standard bullet and usually have a higher BC. I LOVE how the Bergers performed and IF the NCCs will not come up to snuff I will keep with the Bergers. Thank you again for the help and I also apologize more my HORRIBLE grammar.

the BC of the nosler are only .014 lower than the berger. that small of a difference isnt going to matter much, if at all

My opinion is, since I have the same barrel, try the hornady 178 bthp match touching the lands running them as hard as you can with varget and CCI BR2 primers, I think you will like the results much better and at 30 a box they are 5 times more consistent than nosler cc's.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.