Ballistic Apps

I have the kestrel 5700 unit and Hornady ballistic app on my phone, when I have issues like you're describing, I play with the bc value of the bullet. From what I've read about bc values given by a manufacturer, their kinda sorta that number, so maybe that would help
Your "kinda, sorta that number" is because BC changes constantly with velocity changing during flight. BC is based on the velocity of the bullet, shape of the bullet and weight. So, what is the average velocity? Depends on how far away your target is. If you're shooting at 500 yards, your average BC will be different than if your target is averaged over 1000 yards with the same bullet/cartridge because your bullet is slowing down more over 1000 yards than over 500 yards thus changing the average BC value. This is why most ballistics apps ask you what the BC or velocity is at multiple distances to better calibrate the app.

Banned in the US so getting support is a no go. Do not know all the details but that's the gist of it.
It is NOT a "no go". You can still accurately and safely use the Strelok program if you already have it loaded on your phone or computer before the ban. You just can't download/install the Strelok program anymore or get updates/support anymore until the US ban is lifted. Your comment makes it sound like you can't use the Strelok program. The only thing you can't do is get any new reticles for any new scopes or contact Igor. Everything else works as it has always worked.

Last edited:
It is NOT a "no go". You can still accurately and safely use the Strelok program if you already have it loaded on your phone or computer before the ban. You just can't download/install the Strelok program anymore or get updates/support anymore until the US ban is lifted. Your comment makes it sound like you can't use the Strelok program. The only thing you can't do is get any new reticles for any new scopes or contact Igor. Everything else works as it has always worked.
I had to get a new phone and that was the end of Strelok for me. That spurred me to buy a Kestrel with AB and I wish I'd have done it sooner

What I said it was it is banned and support is a no go. Seemed fairly clear. If you don't have it you can't get it. Does seem like it's not worth much discussion or argument.

Last edited:
I am fairly familiar with the Shooter app and Hornady 4DOF app. I've played around with them for some time but only recently had the chance to apply them in actual shooting at moderate range.

I've considered the fact that my environmentals are the issue as I normally get those from the nearest weather station, which could be 20 miles away. However, I have a hard time believing the conditions would be that far off as to make a significant difference at 400 yds or so.

I plan to play with the apps some more in the near future as my issue will be exacerbated at longer distance.
Shoot me a PM if you to want to brain storm. I have played with a lot of apps and help a lot of student shooters with app issues. Those station pressure values can be an issue but not always.

Years ago I used ExBall, which was the best Ballistic Program I have ever used. You could input multiple BC's as the bullet slowed down. Multiple Ballistic Coefficients for different bullet velocities are about non existent except for certain Match Bullets. Some bullets are hard to come up with a BC number at all, and it might not be extremely accurate.

I realize everyone wants to use their Phone now days to do Ballistic Calculations. I do not.

I am both OLD and OLD SCHOOL. I still use Log Books.
Laser the Targets and make sure they are at 100 yard intervals "Exactly".
Use your Ballistic Program Come-Up's to get on target.
Shoot and determine the "Real World" Come-Up's at each 100 yard increment.
I will normally play with the ballistic program to get the Come-Up's for the 25 yard increments. I will do this by adjust the velocity in the program to get the Come-Up's the same as my real world range zero numbers, then in put the adjusted numbers to get the 25 yard Increment Come-Up's.
I will then build a Log Book Come Up Chart for the Bullet/Cartridge.

IN THE SNIPER LOG BOOK
Come-Up Chart in 25 yard increments to what ever the maximum yardage is for that gun.
A good example would be 800-1000 yards for a 308, 2000 yards for 338 Lapua.
I have a Round Count Chart
Wind Hold Chart
Mil Dot Ranging Formula
Table of Known Objects Chart

For my hunting handguns I have only two charts.
I have multiple Charts in the same Log Book with Colored Card Stock Dividers.
I have come-up Chart to 600 yards for Centerfire.
The second chart is a Round Count Chart.

Not Hi Tec enough for most in 2023, however a Log Book has worked well for a long time.

Bob R

Years ago I used ExBall, which was the best Ballistic Program I have ever used. You could input multiple BC's as the bullet slowed down. Multiple Ballistic Coefficients for different bullet velocities are about non existent except for certain Match Bullets. Some bullets are hard to come up with a BC number at all, and it might not be extremely accurate.

I realize everyone wants to use their Phone now days to do Ballistic Calculations. I do not.

I am both OLD and OLD SCHOOL. I still use Log Books.
Laser the Targets and make sure they are at 100 yard intervals "Exactly".
Use your Ballistic Program Come-Up's to get on target.
Shoot and determine the "Real World" Come-Up's at each 100 yard increment.
I will normally play with the ballistic program to get the Come-Up's for the 25 yard increments. I will do this by adjust the velocity in the program to get the Come-Up's the same as my real world range zero numbers, then in put the adjusted numbers to get the 25 yard Increment Come-Up's.
I will then build a Log Book Come Up Chart for the Bullet/Cartridge.

IN THE SNIPER LOG BOOK
Come-Up Chart in 25 yard increments to what ever the maximum yardage is for that gun.
A good example would be 800-1000 yards for a 308, 2000 yards for 338 Lapua.
I have a Round Count Chart
Wind Hold Chart
Mil Dot Ranging Formula
Table of Known Objects Chart

For my hunting handguns I have only two charts.
I have multiple Charts in the same Log Book with Colored Card Stock Dividers.
I have come-up Chart to 600 yards for Centerfire.
The second chart is a Round Count Chart.

Not Hi Tec enough for most in 2023, however a Log Book has worked well for a long time.

Bob R
Shooter is an example of an app that allows for bc and fps steps. You can input many steps. Most don't use steps as they follow the litz custom drag process.

It may be as simple as your chrono is lying to you. If you know someone that has one to compare to yours, I'd give it a whirl and see what the difference in velocity shows. Another thing you can do, is change the velocity in the program until it matches your actual field results on target, then check it at different distances. Out of curiosity, what chrono do you have?

It may be as simple as your chrono is lying to you. If you know someone that has one to compare to yours, I'd give it a whirl and see what the difference in velocity shows. Another thing you can do, is change the velocity in the program until it matches your actual field results on target, then check it at different distances. Out of curiosity, what chrono do you have?
I've ran two Chrony's back to back. Both agree with one another.

Besides, using the velocity calibration feature, there's no way my 300 Win Mag is pushing a 190 Berger VLDH at 3273 fps ….

Maybe your calibration method is off. What brand and model are your chronograph? Maybe try the factory settings and see what you get?
The 190, if I had to guess, should be around 2900-3000fps at max. with a 24" barrel.

Last edited:
The two chronographs used are Chrony brand. One is the lowest base model, the other is the Beta I believe.

THe velocity calibration im referring to is within the Shooter app.

Don't use that feature and plug the 3093 in. I'll bet the numbers will be almost spot on. If you give me the numbers that you're using, I'll try to run it on sierra's program and see what we get. BC, atmospheric pressure, temperature, velocity, bullet diameter and so on.

The info I used:

3093 fps
1103 ft elevation
89'F
59% humidity
5mph wind at 270'

Shooter app says up 5.5 MOA. Actual for one shot was ~4.5 MOA.

Using the numbers above, it wasn't spot on.

Recent Posts