bad reaming from factory

Welderboy11972

Hello guys,
I went out and bought a rem 700 LR a few months ago in a 25-06. I have the same 700 in 300 rum that shoots amazing for a factory rifle. I tryed everything to get the 06 to group like the rum. After months of trial and error, I desided to back up and start all over.

Got my Sinclair coal gauge out, check the coal of the gun. Mesurments was same as I had wrote down before. Loaded a dummy round, colored the bullet with a sharpie, made setting depth adjustments till the lands just scratched the sharpie and this is what I found.

On 1/3 of the bullet it showed 2 nice land prints. On another 1/3 it showed very light land marks, didn't remove sharpie but you could see where it tryed. On the last 1/3 there was no marks at all ( still shiney)

I ask the guy at the local gun shop ( he's a older man that does some gunsmith in the store) about it and he ask me to bring it in and he would look at it. Took it in and he checked it with a bore scope and he could see where the lands were off set.

I'm not looking to down Remington( I know stuff happens) but has anyone ever seen this before. He called them and they are going to check it and make repairs. I'm just wondering how often this happens.

I tryed to post pics but it said the pics was missing a security token.

Hello guys,
I went out and bought a rem 700 LR a few months ago in a 25-06. I have the same 700 in 300 rum that shoots amazing for a factory rifle. I tryed everything to get the 06 to group like the rum. After months of trial and error, I desided to back up and start all over.

Got my Sinclair coal gauge out, check the coal of the gun. Mesurments was same as I had wrote down before. Loaded a dummy round, colored the bullet with a sharpie, made setting depth adjustments till the lands just scratched the sharpie and this is what I found.

On 1/3 of the bullet it showed 2 nice land prints. On another 1/3 it showed very light land marks, didn't remove sharpie but you could see where it tryed. On the last 1/3 there was no marks at all ( still shiney)

I ask the guy at the local gun shop ( he's a older man that does some gunsmith in the store) about it and he ask me to bring it in and he would look at it. Took it in and he checked it with a bore scope and he could see where the lands were off set.

I'm not looking to down Remington( I know stuff happens) but has anyone ever seen this before. He called them and they are going to check it and make repairs. I'm just wondering how often this happens.

I tryed to post pics but it said the pics was missing a security token.

I had a .223 that was reamed .007" off center and also at an angle (about 7 degrees).
gary

The last thing I heard Remington was Hammer Forging their barrels. Most companies who hammer forge a barrel, Hammer forge the chamber at the same time. Sounds like something was out of line on this barrel.

The gun smith that checked it, said he could tell just by looking at it though the bore scope. He didn't use any tools to measure it. So I'm thinking it must be really bad if it can be seen with out measuring it.
I know every company goes through bad times but QC dropped the ball on this one.

I'm hoping that a smith that has a little pride in his work, gets his hands on it and it comes back better the average.

I had a LR in 300 win mag that stuck cases, and another rifle from Remington recently wih your exact issue, still waiting for that rifle to come back(its been 6 months) The rifle I had with the sticking cases issue had a huge bur in the chamber, and they told me it was my reloading practices after I continued to tell them it was factory ammo. I ended up paying my gunsmith to set the barrel back a turn, bought a reamer and had him fix it so I would not wait. I will NEVER BUY from Remington again, PERIOD. Their QC sucks, and they don't seem to care about it at all. Both rifles where brand new, and just getting them to try and warranty them was way more of a hassle then just paying to get them fixed. So I buy savage now. I also had a action I bought from them with raceway issues, brand new from Remington and they did not replace it. So I own a 400 dollar paperweight because my gunsmith will not use it. To say they don't care about customers is a HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

Kasey Field

Remington QC has been going south for quite a few years now; that's why I won't buy one.

Wow....I hope mine isn't gone for 6 months. Maybe I would be better off getting it sent back and having it blue printed and rebarreled. Then it might be a real shooter. I didn't know rem had gone down hill like they have. Back in the 70s and 80s they was top of the line. I was young then, and really wasn't into guns like I'm starting to be now ( life happens. ..lol). Now I have time and the funds for a hobby. Mark this up as lesson learned. Thanks guys for inputs.

I had a LR in 300 win mag that stuck cases, and another rifle from Remington recently wih your exact issue, still waiting for that rifle to come back(its been 6 months) The rifle I had with the sticking cases issue had a huge bur in the chamber, and they told me it was my reloading practices after I continued to tell them it was factory ammo. I ended up paying my gunsmith to set the barrel back a turn, bought a reamer and had him fix it so I would not wait. I will NEVER BUY from Remington again, PERIOD. Their QC sucks, and they don't seem to care about it at all. Both rifles where brand new, and just getting them to try and warranty them was way more of a hassle then just paying to get them fixed. So I buy savage now. I also had a action I bought from them with raceway issues, brand new from Remington and they did not replace it. So I own a 400 dollar paperweight because my gunsmith will not use it. To say they don't care about customers is a HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

Kasey Field

WOW, that's a bummer!

These might explain why my local Scheel's are having problem selling them.

Lone Traveler:

Can you elaborate on Remington hammer forging the chamber?Do you have printed evidence?

Never heard that before. I can't imagine how that would work. My borescope views of many Rem chambers appear to me that they are cut with a reamer.

Want to hear more. Always willing to learn new stuff.

Bought one of the new .300 WM in a 700 long Range. Couldn't get it to shoot better than 1 1/2 inches. Took it to Broz to ck out. No better luck there. He took it to Bigngreen. He checked the barrel out. What I understood them to say was that at both ends it was fine, but large in the middle...... Not even sure how that can happen....Broz says it will make a great tomato stake...... Bruce

Lone Traveler:

Can you elaborate on Remington hammer forging the chamber?Do you have printed evidence?

Never heard that before. I can't imagine how that would work. My borescope views of many Rem chambers appear to me that they are cut with a reamer.

Want to hear more. Always willing to learn new stuff.
The chambers on Remington barrels are 'roughed in' during the hammer forging process, then finish reamed with a chambering reamer.

The chambers on Remington barrels are 'roughed in' during the hammer forging process, then finish reamed with a chambering reamer.

that sounds more like it!

In real world machining, the very first thing you do with most anykind of iron forging is to normalize it prior to finish machining it. Of course you can't really to that with apiece of pre-hardened piece of steel. In other words your finished product becomes pot luck. Some folks do a hammer forged barrel better than others do for sure. Yet there still is no excuse for reaming a chamber more than .002" TIR off center on a production line. And even more for not following the center line of the bore! Have they never had a single process engineer in house that can design a good quality reaming jig????
gary

4 of us have bought the r700 LR series rifle, 3 7's and one 300 RUM. out of the 4, 2 have issues with a bur in the chamber causing DEEP scratches and hard ejecting, the other also has feeding and extraction issues. LUCKILY mine is great, shoots lights out. I definitely got lucky, but will not buy a new r700 again unless its a sendero.

The gun smith that checked it, said he could tell just by looking at it though the bore scope. He didn't use any tools to measure it. So I'm thinking it must be really bad if it can be seen with out measuring it.
I know every company goes through bad times but QC dropped the ball on this one.

I'm hoping that a smith that has a little pride in his work, gets his hands on it and it comes back better the average.

They dont have gunsmiths there...they have FACTORY WORKERS....Lots of difference in the output quality!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.