Backpack Rifle

Ksduckhntr

I am calling my next build a "Backpack" rifle. The entire reason for this rifle is when I am out glassing or back road driving and want to sit down for a quick predator call session or come upon predators/varmints while hiking I have a light portable rifle available. Also this will crossover to a rifle my daughter can shoot as she grows. Here is the list of whats important first:

Length - I am looking for the shortest length action to build off of as this will be suppressed
Weight - I am not totally concerned but light is good
Cost - Building what I want is expensive but willing to spend the money to get what I want
Cartridge - pretty much set with the grendel bc of smaller overall cartridge and dual purpose if a deer hunt is planned out to 250-300yds

Here is my plan as of now and need some direction to complete the thought process to start amassing parts for the build:

Barrel - 16" threaded barrel probably something like a bartlein 2b
Action - I would like to get a Howa Mini or CZ micro action but what other actions are close to this size? Model 7 possibly?
Stock - Ideally I would like a manners Compact stock or McM game scout. Anyone do 1 off inletting to fit these actions?
Cartridge - 6.5 grendel or 6 creedmoor (most likely the grendel) less recoil, and smaller case to fit into smaller action
Optics - Nightforce compact 2.5-10 x32
Gunsmith - Any suggestions on someone who would want to take on a unique rifle project?

Any comments towards helping get this project rolling is greatly appreciated. I could buy something off the shelf but thats not what I want.

Scrap that boat anchor Nightforce and put the new Vortex LHT on it!

Also, other barrel makers likely have a lighter barrel available.

The two scopes mentioned have a weight difference of 1.4 oz…I didn't see a x32 for NF so I grabbed the x42.

EA2091BF-7D27-4A6D-8755-DA8E2792C28F.png

87851C28-A72C-4CBA-8B27-DC11B66749F2.png

I have never built one, but prefer a carbine style rifle anyways.
I really like a takedown rifle, something I can put in a backpack or saddlebags.
I am a sheep hunter and in my middle 60's- compact is key to me

Thanks fellas. The x32 night force is discontinued so will be a used model. I guess I'm just re inventing the wheel with a scout type rifle. The barrel I was guessing a 2b contour because I have a direct thread suppressor that will require at least 5/8-24

Recent Posts