At what point are you done with load development?

I have burned up a few barrels chasing .25" groups. Learned a lot so i don't consider it a waste. Problem with load development is that things are always changing. You have to keep on top of your rifle. To think that you have X velocity and a .5 moa rifle and you could load and shoot the same load until the barrel is gone doesn't happen to me. My 338 edge suddenly went from shooting 2850 to 2820 for no reason. Chasing lands, temp stability, sizing, annealing, different lots of brass, bullets, powder just make you keep things up to speed. Even changing a muzzle break type can change the tune of a barrel. If it's shoot 1/2" with the occasional .25" group then i have fun...

Well let me put this into context most can relate.....
The more you spend on the rifle and components.....the less you get to spend at the local Hooter Palace.....
Waste components and add excessive wear to the barrel...or enjoy a brew and boobs......your choice........i know where my Palace is....

I don't think you are ever really "done" with load development. Your load is only good for as long as you have the components you used to develop it, and as long as your gun will shoot it without wear affecting it. I do think that after you do get a good load developed, it's a bit easier to keep it shooting than it may have been to find it. Especially if you did what you were supposed to do and record everything about the load and how you got there.
I keep a running journal, save targets with data, etc to help out with that.

If I didn't enjoy and get so much satisfaction out of the entire process of load development, hand loading, shooting, and tinkering with guns, I'd have stuck to factory rifles and ammunition.

I've always been this way with everything I do.
I have to enjoy being totally immersed in all facets of whatever it is, or I find myself not doing it.

When I find myself getting tired of it, or making it work instead of fun, that's when I know it's time to take a break, and enjoy something else I like to do.

Everything is always right there, waiting for me to pick up where I left off.

Until last few years my loading was simple. Only loaded for one rifle. 150grain Scirocco over 64g imr4831 in 7rm. 1/2" at 100yds and minute of paper plate out to 500. Now loading for many and seem to always want to tinker.

I guess it would depend on the intended use for the rifle. If it's a hunting gun I would have a velocity I was looking for and accuracy I was looking for. If the two came together I would verify my dope and put it away. Should be good for years.
At that point pull out a trainer/target gun and shoot for skills. The main reason I chose to to go into switch barrel rifles is so the shooting platform would feel the same but I could change to a different barrel and save the hunting barrel.
I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor to experiment with loads. I choose a bullet and a powder to see if it will shoot. After getting the combo to shoot I choose another and on and on. That's my take on it. Have fun

All my rifles are hunting rifles, first load with the bullet I want to shoot that stays consistently under .75 moa and I'm done. Especially with short barrel life cartridges like 264 WM, 28 Nosler, etc.

When I think I've got the best I can get out of the rifle I'm done.
If the rifle will shoot sub MOA I keep it and hunt with/shoot it regularly.
If it won't shoot sub MOA, I sell it and move to another rifle.
I'm not one to keep tinkering with things like this. When I've done everything I can/that I know to do from spacing off the lands to using different powders etc. in developing the load, I'm done.
Good luck

Thought I was done with any load development, however decided to rebarrel one of my rifles to a different caliber...it starts all over again. Lol.

I used to chase the holy grail until I read an article that changed the way I do it forever. Basically what it says is that under the conditions I was shooting in the results I was looking for will not happen. Now 1/2 moa or less and I'm done. Read it...
Secrets of the Houston warehouse.