Asking for a Friend! šŸ™‚

NEWS FLASH: Latest info (hopefully accurate) as he repeated the findings 3 times.

When measured from the muzzle end, only pushing the bullet about 3" into the bore and then driving it back out from the breech end, it appears that the bore is oval shaped. It seems that the readings when measured perpendicular to each other were 0.219" and 0.222". This doesn't seem normal to me. Addendum to previous statementā€¦..there are no apparent hammer or vise marks on the barrel! šŸ˜‰

Now the question, how tight/small can the bore be on a 22-250 before it creates issues. The bore appears to be 0.221"/0.222" from the breech forward.

So how tight is too tight?

He may have 2 or 3 things a bit odd with this barrel! memtb

This barrel has been lapped 15 strokes back and forthā€¦
Before and after.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpeg
    IMG_0290.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 36
Poor drilling of the bore and no use of a finishing broach is my guess. That is a button-rifle barrel also, so maybe the button was not pulled through with the correct speed. Twist is correct at 10". The barrel is .338" cal.
No definitive answers really, but it holds just under MoA but fouls like nothing I have ever seen, 2 shots and it is fully copper fouled.

Cheers.

This barrel has been lapped 15 strokes back and forthā€¦
Before and after.

Cheers.
I had a 270 Win barrel that was a bit worse than that. You could actually hear it when you pushed a patch back and forth in the bore. There is no amount of lapping that will correct a barrel that rough.
Isn't it amazing what Savage gets away with sending garbage like that out the door and the prices that they charge now? I used to buy a model 110 for $110 with a wood stock. That is how they got the model number originally when they first came out. Then they came out with a left hand 110 and jumped the price to $112.50.
1724143519006.png

1724142932483.png

Last edited: