ARs and hunting

jtmoose

I am considering consolidating a bolt 308 and a 300blk AR15 into a single AR10. Just thinking it would be nice to invest all my resources (time, practice, money) into a single all-purpose rifle with a single high quality optic rather than two mediocre optics.

I'm running a 6.5 Creed AR-10, deadliest rig I have ever had for hunting. It's my short range out to 800 or so, deer gun and out to 1200 on yotes.
ARs can be very accurate and the 6.5 Creed recoil and follow up capabilities cannot be beat. I would build a 260 or Creed and use a scope that you can run fast.
I run a Burris Eliminator III on mine. Huge, heavy crappy glass.....but for hitting first round FAST on game it is unbeatable. Time from game sighting to shot is so much faster than any other method, its incomparable. I can shoot 15 pieces of steel by myself in the amount of time TWO GUYS can calc and shoot 3 pieces.
For 400 thru 800 on game nothing will beat it unless you are shooting bedded critters.

Tod what would you say the glass compares to. I'm having a 6.5 build for my dad and that scope sounds right up his alley. Just don't want him to be wanting better glass.

Compared to a Nightforce uhhhh its like two coke bottles JB welded in some Chinese hut lol. IDK not as clear as a Viper PST. Maybe on par with a Viper. Mid grade glass I would call it. The rangefinder and Horus reticle make up for it I guess. If NF would build them for $6k a shot they would be on backorder for a long while. Electronics like this in scopes is past due and easily achievable.
Being able to make a 1000 yd shot in less time than it takes to laser something really changes the game.

I think you'll be fine rocking an AR10 variant in the hunting fields. Just keep in mind those fellers can get heavy. I have one and it did it's job on a nice fat Wyoming mule deer this year.

As stated before, an AR10 variant can be very accurate, follow up shots (should you need one) are much quicker and recoil is often very minimal compared to a bolt gun of the same caliber.

As long as you don't mind lugging some extra weight (you didn't say what your goals/experience were), I think you'll be just fine.

t

I think you'll be fine rocking an AR10 variant in the hunting fields. Just keep in mind those fellers can get heavy. I have one and it did it's job on a nice fat Wyoming mule deer this year.

As stated before, an AR10 variant can be very accurate, follow up shots (should you need one) are much quicker and recoil is often very minimal compared to a bolt gun of the same caliber.

As long as you don't mind lugging some extra weight (you didn't say what your goals/experience were), I think you'll be just fine.

t
Mine has a 24" with a heavy contour and I don't mind carrying it from my truck to a shooting table 8 ft away. Other than that......they can be heavy. Some makers are lightening up the AR-10s now getting them into the 8lb range without glass. Not a lightweight but nowhere near my 14lb moster.

I used my RRA 308 and Seekins 6.5 CR this year, other then like has been said they get heavy, but was fun. Only other thing I found was can be awkward carrying around the woods.

Up until now I have still hunted (elk, deer, bear) western WA mountains, target shoot, protect our sheep from coyotes and cougars, and am a patriot. I have been using my 300blk with 1-4x for the house and sheep, and the bolt with 2-10x for hunting and target shooting. I would like to shift my hunting to archery though so I'm not sure how much hiking it will see in the future. I've know a few guys that once they got their AR10s, the rest of their guns stay in the safe. I'm not sure that I actually have a "need" for narrower focus guns or if a really good general purpose would be better.

Last edited:
Look into the Olympic Arms WSSM rigs. You live in the same state should be common.
AR-10 power on a 15 chassis. Buy an upper for your Blackout and DONE.
D-tech makes an upper in those calibers that is a hammer and accurate. A 6.5 WSSM will outrun a
Creed or 260 if done right.;
The Olympic 300 OSSM will run with a 308 especially with the lighter stuff.
Just another option.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.