AR barrel swap question

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to use the tools I have. Can you use a standard barrel vice on these?
No. You have to support the upper receiver to remove the barrel nut.

You use the upper vise block and a traditional bench vise (ar15 or ar10 specific) to hold the receiver. You'll also need the proper barrel nut wrench as they are specific to each hand guard manufacturer.

Highly recommend some brand of reaction rod. It will take all the pressure off the upper receiver and put it on the barrel lugs. I use this one.

Ok I will get one coming. Just when I thought I had all I needed lol. I do hope I didn't screw anything up cuz I did use the barrel vice to remove the nut. Everything looks ok so maybe not.

I wouldn't use a standard bolt gun vise. On the positive side most ARs come apart and go together easier than some bolt gun barrels.
Glad you are getting the right tool!

Reaction rod only way to go
Brownells sells one for both lg and sm frame
Also very handi for compensator work
An upper receiver vice use can stretch the alum boss to which the lock pins engage .

200.gif

As long as you don't turn the barrel, because the rod only fits/locks into the extension when r/i stubborn muzzle devices. Should be gtg on barrel nots tho!

Ok I will get one coming. Just when I thought I had all I needed lol. I do hope I didn't screw anything up cuz I did use the barrel vice to remove the nut. Everything looks ok so maybe not.

I had a guy brought an upper that locked up. The barrel extension guide pin gouged the upper hard enough that the upper rolled on to it and locked up.

Can't beat the right tool for the job

Using a barrel vice meant for bolt guns like the Viper might work, but it's not the ideal tool for swapping AR barrels. You'll want to use an upper vice block for better stability and to avoid damaging your AR during the process.

The way that I see it, and I may be missing something as it wouldn't be the first time, there is no practical difference between using a barrel vise or a "Reaction Rod"/Magpul tool to install an AR barrel. When torquing the barrel nut both are going to cam the upper against the index pin as it is the only interface that keeps the upper from spinning on the barrel extension when you're tightening the barrel nut. I've yet to see a tool that will address this while also holding the barrel.

The difference that I do see in using a barrel vise is that it may not be all that convenient to do so. The "reaction rod" and the Magpul tool are much more convenient tools for this particular operation.