Anyone reloading for X-bolt 308??

mobenzowner

Getting ready to place an order for some different bullets and powders to find a nice load for the X-bolt composite stalker in .308. Barrel twist is 1:12 and length is 22". Anyone have any advice on loads that work well in this gun? And to throw out the disclaimer, I know all guns are different, and I always definitely do pressure testing steps, so in other words I start low and work up.
I'm suspecting either Varget, Imr4895, or Imr4064 for powder and 155 to 168 grain bullets.
SOund right to you all?

My stepson has one. He wanted a load to shoot deer out to 300 yards. We started with 150 grain Hornady spire points and all the normal powders you use with a.308 and 150 grainer.
That's when the big problem showed up!
The big problem was trying to pick which load we liked the best ....they were all good..... there wasn't a bad shooter in the bunch.... seems like a heck of a nice gun. Kinda guessing you're going to get the same result!

Similar gun... A-bolt micro, 308 win 20" barrel.

I didn't do much load development but the first outing it liked 43.5 grains IMR 4064 under a 165 Nosler Accubond. Took a nice whitetail this past season. No clue on velocity. As always, work up with caution.

Good thing is the 308 has a plethora of load data available.

This load has shot good in several .308 Win's...Including one of mine.

Lapua brass
Fed 210M
44.0gr Varget
Berger 168 VLD
2.810" OAL

Thank you all for the reply's. Kraky, I hope I have the same issue as your step-son..I plan to get to loading up a few test rounds this evening, but not sure I'll get to shoot this weekend. I'll post results once I get to shoot with velocity's and target pics.
Again, Thanks !!
Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.