Anyone from Iowa??

Varmint Hunter

I ran into a shooter/hunter at our club today. He was getting ready for an Iowa whitetail hunt. He had a 35 Rem levergun which he said was one of the few cartridges allowed?? He also said that it took years to get a few points to hunt deer as a non-res.

All sounds a bit strange to me. Anyone know the rules in Iowa?

Iowa, like most other shotgun states, legalized straight walled cartridges (with restrictions). I'm confident they had 35 Whelen as a legal cartridge. It takes a few points, 4/5, to draw an archery tag. Firearms tag was 0 or 1 pt.

Several years back (2017 I believe) Iowa introduced the use of straight-walled cartridges during the shotgun seasons; but I'm pretty sure the 35 Remington isn't one of those eligible.

Several years back (2017 I believe) Iowa introduced the use of straight-walled cartridges during the shotgun seasons; but I'm pretty sure the 35 Remington isn't one of those eligible.
I just Googled the regs. I'm a little confused , but it looks like anything is legal between .35 to .50. It listed 358 Win. ,44 mag ,4570!etc.
Doesn't have to be straight wall.
Then they have an antlerless season in certain areas that opens it up to 223 on up.
It states if you are in doubt ask your local Game Officer.🤷‍♂️

Legal firearms for the youth/disabled and shotgun 1 and 2 seasons include:

Pistols and revolvers (with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches)
Straight-wall and "necked-down" cartridge rifles shooting an expanding type bullet of at least .350 inches and no greater than .500 inches with at least 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

This includes, but is not limited to, the following common calibers: .35 Whelen, .350 Legend, .358 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 Long Colt, .45 Raptor, .450 Bushmaster, .450 Marlin, .45-70 Govt, .460 S&W and .500 S&W.

If you're not sure if your cartridge is allowed, please check with your local DNR conservation officer.

From the Iowa DNR site.

Iowa was shotgun only, then added straight wall case, next added 35 call and above in any case. I'm not sure about the 223 for for antlerless, maybe bordering Missouri but not sure. Naturally we also have muzzleloader and bow.

We're not a straight wall state anymore. Just over .350, 500 ft lbs, and expanding bullet. The way it's written you can use a 416 Barrett if you use the correct bullet, but not a 243 or 270. It was probably intended to include stuff like the 35 Remington, 35 whelen, and 458 socom. This is for the normal gun seasons. The antlerless seasons are different.