Anyone every thought.....How to sell your entire Reloading Setup & Supplies......

Coyote Shadow How far you from Gainesville and the Lake ????
About an hour depending on the time of day with traffic and back roads. Gainesville/Lake Lanier is North of Atl and we live about 50 miles East of Atl.
Looks like you are over by the Hudson. When I traveled up and down the East coast, I would take 287 and cross the Hudson to avoid going through the City. I Lived in Bear Creek , PA by Wilkes - Barre, PA and also lived around the New London, CT area.
Len

One of my whole sellers is in Wilkes-Barre , used to go to his trade show every year ( fishing tackle ), held at The WOODS . New London area grew up in Colchester CT keeped one boat in Niantic Ct for years at the Whale restaurant, since the fire not sure who is there now. Was in Gainesville 59-63 interesting times then, for sure ! Am just south of the TZ bridge last Marina on the Jersey side of Hudson before TZ bridge, in Piermont, NY. You on the Groton side or the Mystic side- many a sub there for sure. Back then the Lake area was moonshine heaven . & the revenuers & the blockers !!!! Training grounds for Daytona .

Last edited:
Interesting thread especially since now in my old age, I've been thinking about it as well.
I have several kids and struggle with what to do with my reloading equipment too. Firearms not so much. However, the reloading stuff plus firearms and ammo will be going to 6, maybe seven different kids and 13 grandkids, depending on who is most interested (all adults now).

The problem is that I only have 2 presses and 2 scales but tons of dies and individual what not for each cartridge including books, measuring equipment, powders, primers, trimmers, cleaners, etc, etc. Myself, I use it commonly for all cartridges because I own everything all myself.

The dies and some specific items would go with the firearm obviously, but some of the kids would have to buy the rest of the reloading equipment and tools to make theirs complete. My thought is how to split the rest up? Or should I liquidate it all? Perhaps it's not even worth worrying about after all?
Put on a handloading class at your house now , see if any ,or how many want to learn , that will tell you who are most interested . Then it will be easy.

In the past have seen where guy is gone, they put the stuff in boxes, listed it on an auction bill. Auctioneer advertised the sale. Then in a morning and an afternoon sell an entire lifetime collection. Shooters got some sweet deals and the guys family got a huge check. They even sold his duck hunting boat, awesome day and most people at the sale spoke highly of the guy as all his stuff was bought to use, not put on a shelf.

Just a curious question I was pondering just now. Just dropped another $1000 this morning. Got me to thinking, I probably have $30,000 in everything including supplies. You know your not gonna get what its all worth. I guess the best thing one day would be if not passing it on to the kiddos is sell it bit by bit as much as you could. Or just find a buyer for a certain percentage of the value. Really got me to thinking. Firearms are different. I'll pass down the $$$$$$$$ worth of firearms to family and friends.
I did exactly what you are asking about in 1994. I found a gun store in Rapid City SD that gave me .85 on the dollar of what I had spent. My total was just over 3K. We struck a deal, i had all the boxes, etc.., of course open powders, open boxes of bullets were not on the table, he ended up being quite happy with the purchase when I hauled it over.
But, back in the mid 80's, there was company back east called Nationwide Sports Distributors that somehow sold wholesale to individuals. So I did not get 85 cents of a dollar at retail prices.
Then in 96 I re-entered, and rebought it all, and it hurt, as NSD was no longer in business, and I paid full retail. Minus the RCBS 304 scale, and the Big Max press, as they were no longer sold.

I never had kids but have a running list of where things need to go, but a friend will need to step in and handle it, I would not do that to my wife. The more I revisit that, the more I think an auction, or package sale would eliminate the confusion.
Then throw that money at some gawdy above ground vault, because, yes, I am that important:cool:

I have three boys so it's probably not an issue. About a year ago our farm manager passed he had five boys. They sorted out his fishing poles and tackle the other day he had 100 poles each boy ended up with 20 each. They took turns picking an item until everything was gone. He must of divided up his few guns before he passed I never saw them fooling with any of them. He even borrowed one of my deer rifles the last year he was well enough to even try shooting a deer.

Just a curious question I was pondering just now. Just dropped another $1000 this morning. Got me to thinking, I probably have $30,000 in everything including supplies. You know your not gonna get what its all worth. I guess the best thing one day would be if not passing it on to the kiddos is sell it bit by bit as much as you could. Or just find a buyer for a certain percentage of the value. Really got me to thinking. Firearms are different. I'll pass down the $$$$$$$$ worth of firearms to family and friends.
If you wanted maximum return break it up and sell one item at a time on Ebay or Gun Broker.

If you heirs are just going to take what they can get through an estate sale and run to the bank I'd give it all away to some up and coming young kid I thought was going to be with it for life.

I'm really not selling anything guys. Just thought about it and how difficult it would be to part it out. I'm sure one of the boys will take to it. Their interest has never been peaked because I've always supplied them with all the ammo they need and **** it's a lot so when I quit they are gonna have to learn or their kids will.

If you wanted maximum return break it up and sell one item at a time on Ebay or Gun Broker.

If you heirs are just going to take what they can get through an estate sale and run to the bank I'd give it all away to some up and coming young kid I thought was going to be with it for life.
Yes, I agree with both of those ideas , provided no kids or grandkids are interested in learning.

About an hour depending on the time of day with traffic and back roads. Gainesville/Lake Lanier is North of Atl and we live about 50 miles East of Atl.
Looks like you are over by the Hudson. When I traveled up and down the East coast, I would take 287 and cross the Hudson to avoid going through the City. I Lived in Bear Creek , PA by Wilkes - Barre, PA and also lived around the New London, CT area.
Len
Have been a member for a couple of years but mostly a lurker and saw your comments about Gainesville. I have lived in Gainesville for a couple of years now but lived in Monroe, next door to Social Circle, for about 30 years. Started reloading in the early 70's and load for about 14 cartridges now. I'm sure my stuff will be sold when the time comes so I'm somewhat at peace with it. Most of the Guns too.

I'm really not selling anything guys. Just thought about it and how difficult it would be to part it out. I'm sure one of the boys will take to it. Their interest has never been peaked because I've always supplied them with all the ammo they need and **** it's a lot so when I quit they are gonna have to learn or their kids will.
But still it makes you think.I'm some how getting older every day and I have thought about it too.
I have a friend(real friend) that I have asked him if he would help the wife sell everything at a decent price and he agreed and asked if would do the same for him.
I can't imagine selling all my stuff but when I'm gone I won't care.
Depressing but a necessary thread.

Good topic. I'm probably pretty close maybe even slightly more considering Ammo.

My son will take most of the ammo I'm sure but so far even at 21 years old he's not shown any interest in reloading. My daughters and sons in law will probably take some of the ammo too.

Something to ponder for sure.

If you have no one to leave it too it might be time. I am thinking about doing the same with all but 1 or 2 guns. Political environment has changed , my health not that good. Might go into 22LR rifle and pistol shooting. Don't have to walk as far to check targets and cheaper. MD