Anyone buy/shoot the "new" Browning A-Bolt slug gun??

toader

I am seriously considering purchasing new slug gun & was wondering if anyone has shot the "new" A-Bolt slug gun??

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

They have not become available yet (I've been checking). From what I've seen they are identical to the old (mid 90's) A-Bolt shotgun, which I have. I couldn't be happier with mine and I'm sure you will love the new one. I have sold several of the Savage bolt shotguns that work fine but the browning looks and functions much nicer. Since I'm in a shotgun only state it's one of my "keep no matter what" guns.

I also have one of the first run A-Bolt slug guns. Mine is the walnut blued model with no sites. Shoots Federal Barnes Tiped Expanders and Winchester PT-Golds into 1.5" 100yrd groups with boring regularity. Fit and finish is excellent, triggger is easly adjustable.

Am also strongly considering buying one. Will have to see when they become available.
If you buy one you will not be disapointed.

I bought one of the new a bolts about a month ago from Gander Mountain ($1070 after taxes). The only difference, and I may be wrong, between this one and the one from the mid 90's is the twist rate. The new twist rate is 1 in 28 while the older olders ones were 1 in 32. When I took it too the range I shot it off hand with open sigths at 50 yards (I wanted to replicate hunting conditions I often encounter) and it was really no more accurate than any other rifled slug gun I have owned. I had problems with slugs that were 1800 fps or faster. Whether or not this is an issue with the gun or a flaw in the way I shoot has yet to be determined. I shot a 3 inch group with Remington Cooper Solids at my POA. I had a group of about 2 inches with Remington Accu-tips (much faster slug), however it was nowhere near my POA. When I go to the range next time, I will take my lead sled to see if I can get better results. Now, If I were to attach a scope and shoot it from a rest I am sure my groups would improve, but by how much? I had a scoped mossberg 835 that could shoot 3 inch groups all day at 100 yards from a bench rest. Even if the A Bolt could shoot MOA, is the extra $700 worth it? I can tell you this I have always wanted one of these a bolts since they came out in the mid 90's, however after a day at the range I will admit I had some buyers remorse.

I went back to the range and shot the a bolt off my lead sled and the cooper solids, accutips and sst's all produced one shot holes about the size of a half dollar at the POA. My offhand groups only slightly improved.

Last edited:
Buy a Savage 220. Everyone that has one loves theirs and it is very very accurate. For 450 dollars I don't think I would buy a Browning. For the extra 500 you could put on a Ziess conquest 3x9 scope (399.00). Most love Rem Accutips in iether two and 3 quarter or 3 in. Good luck.

Might try an H&R ultra slug hunter. I bought mine on sale for $175 put a leupold on top and it's a tack driver! With Remington core lock ultras it will bust milk jugs 5 for 5 at 200 yards. also those buck hammers shoot reallllly good but they have no range , about 100 yds. But you should see what they do to a deer at 40 yds! If you need a second shot , it loads quick with it ejecting hulls. Just an option, an inexpensive slug gun, well built ( in america ) with money left over to spend on a great scope and lots of ammo. My brother has the same in a 20 ga. shoots as good as my 12. He prefers it over his savage bolt. hope this helps you some JK

I was going to buy one this month but they are really behind or lagging behind in production on purpose. I called Browning today and they stated they were getting ready to ship 540 of the A-bolts out that were previously on backorder. They have an additional 90 that are currently on back order. Not good news if your're looking to pick one up for this falls hunt. I'm having second thoughts about buying one after reading the post about the accuracy here and on another message board. Below is what was posted on another message board:

I am new to this posting stuff but felt the need to post on this gun. I have hunted almost primarily with slug guns for 30 plus years and feel I know them well enough. 22 years in the Corps and I shoot well enough.
I wanted the A-bolt shotgun for years and when I saw they were coming back out I got mine on order. I picked mine up about a month ago....what a disappointment it has been. It is a beautiful gun! I cleaned her up real good, mounted a Leopold 3x9 sg/ml scope, boresighted, added a limbsaver recoil pad and was all set for the range.
I started with the recommended Winchester Partitons at 50 yards. I had 3 misfires, one failed extraction and the best group I could get was about 3.5 inches. I spoke with the Browning rep and he took the gun to the service center to have it checked out. The service center just called me after having the gun for a week and told me that they had removed and re-installed the scope, fired slugs from Federal, Remington, and Hornady. The best group they got from any of the slugs they tried was 3.5 to 4 inches at 50 yards. They informed me that they had spoke with the Browning Rep about their findings and was told " that is in Browning specs". Wow! I have smooth bore guns that will shoot better than that. I have'nt even attempted 100 yards yet. They are sending the gun back to me......not sure if I'll sell it or keep it as a boat paddle! I have one of the not-so-pretty Mossberg 220F's that will outshoot this one all day long. Not at all happy!!

It's probably too early to tell yet but I was surprised to hear that Browning thinks 3.5" groups at 50 is within specs. Maybe I will look at the Savage. I know it's not the quality of the Browning but It shoots better groups at 50 yards. The H & R is also very accurate from what I've read but man that thing is so heavy. I'm glad I picked one up before I almost bought one. It's pretty much for stand hunting only.

Steve 9035, do you still regret buying the A-Bolt after using the lead sled? Obviously, your accuracy would improve with a scope but do you think it would be on par with the 90's versions of the A-Bolt. I was all set to buy one this month but nobody has any in stock and they are way behind on production, I've only seen two reviews on this new A-bolt and they both have been disappointed with the accruracy.

Did Savage fix their issues (feeding & extracting, misfires) on the 220 Slug Gun?? I have heard that the rifle shoots well but had some issues??

Anyone else - all info is greatly appreciated!!

I just found an A-Bolt in black synthetic stock for $920 at a Gander Mountain about 50 miles from where I live. I placed it on lay-a-way with 20% down until I decide for sure if I want it. I believe they had about 10 in stock throughout their stores. Maybe if you are looking for one, they could do a store transfer. Hopefully, the accuracy is as good as the older 90's models. Reading the two other posts has me somewhat concerned.

First let me start by saying Iam a HUGE fan of Savage products, but I will add this. I have two boys both chomping at the bit to deer hunt. I also had just returned from the range and watched two guys in the stall next to mine shoot enough 1-1.25"100yrd 3-shot groups with their 220Fs to get me powerful interested in buying one or possably more. So with $1000 in pocket I went to my local BP as they had all three Savage slug guns on sale and in stock. Much to the remorse of the guy at the BP gun counter I spent the better part of a hour going over the 212F the 220F and the older 210F. I checked each for over all function and fit and finish.

In the end I did not buy any of them as I felt strongly if I am going to spend $500 the firearm must meet a certain level of quality. Only the older 210F did, and I do not need another 12ga slug gun as I have a A-Bolt, a Marlin 512, and a NEF 920. I was for the most part interested in the 220F as being a 20ga it offers much less recoil (at least that is what I have read) than any 12ga slug gun and recoil is a big issue with young begining hunters.
The fact I have read the 220F is suffereing from some QC issues has made me take a wait and see position for now.

Will see if my mind can be changed at this years sales. Already have scopes and mounts, all I need is something to put them on.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.