Any Henri Dumoulin Mauser experts out there?

omega1

Hello, I was very fortunate to come across a Henri Dumoulin 7x57 Minnlicher style stocked Mauser at a local pawn shop. I bought it but have to wait 3 days to actually pick it up. I have some knowledge of Dumoulin rifles but just the very basics. I would like to hear any information anyone can provide on these fine rifles. This one is built on the Belgian FN action. Can I just purchase any scope bases made for the FN Mauser and expect them to work? I have a Leupold Vari X-lll 1.5-5X that I think would look good on this rifle. Any information will be appreciated.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you sable. I found both of these mounts on the net but didn't want to purchase until I knew they would be compatible with the Dumoulin. Anyone else have more information on these fine rifles?

Just as an FYI, Dumoulin is a gunmaking company. They use Mauser actions. Mauser is the action design and FN is the manufacturer of the action.

;)

I do know about FN being the manufacturer of this action but I was wondering since Dumoulin was a custom rifle maker if he did anything special/different that would require special bases. I know he also used Sako actions on some of his rifles. If I were to ever find another screaming deal on another Dumoulin I would love to find one built on a Sako action.

Last edited:
If you want two-piece bases:

https://warnescopemounts.com/m902-830m-mauser-fn-matte/

If you want a Picatinny rail:

https://www.amazon.com/Mauser-Picatinny-Rail-Scope-Mount/dp/B004VI3O1Y?tag=lrhmag19-20

There are probably a dozen makers for these scope mounts and you will need the appropriate rings in the right diameter for your scope. Avoid the Leupold 'twist in' rings and mounts.

Check Talley also.

Enjoy!

:)
Curious as to why you recommend not using the Leupold "turn-in" style bases? Thanks!
Greg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Maybe it's just personal likes and dislikes, not sure but I know I just took off a set from older varmint rifle and it reminded me.

I suppose if you get the rings and slot/hole/side screws lined up without having to fiddle around with moving/twisting it might be O.K. I've found them loose when removing them before and that's not a good design. Any amount of back and forth gets that area of the base pretty worn, the base is not hard but very soft.

Right now I favor the Picatinny rails or bases using the clamping forces from the bottom and sides.

But, to each his own. Lots of folks and lots of opinions!

;)

Was just curious. I, too, have gone to pic rails for the most part because over time and usage I was finding the same issues you mention. I have a few sets left in inventory but they're for actions I don't own anymore.