Antelope bullet

I've killed multiple pronghorn with my .243 and the 95gr BT. Ranges were 200-325 yards. Minimal meat damage and all 1 shot kills. The 100gr Partition is also a great bullet, as well as the Hornady SST billets. Craig Boddington has a book about hunting cartridges. He feels the 25-06 and a BT bullet are the perfect pronghorn set up. Go to the Ballisticstudies.com website and read up on the .243 and extensive bullet testing Nathan Foster has done. Great bunch of info and helps with picking the proper bullet.
That being said, I've switched to Hammer bullets about 2 years ago, in all of my hunting rifles. They are the real deal and killing machines. Doesn't matter if you hit just vitals or bone, it blows right through it all and is devastating to the vitals but causes very little meat damage. Like what others have stated, give Steve a call at Hammer bullets and he'll get you set up properly. Twist rate is very important with Hammers and you need to be within the twist rate to stabilize them properly.

same bullet you use in whitetail deer. mabe a bit more B C but a bullet for thin skin game. I personally use a speer BT because they are soft and open up quick.

Pronghorn are not difficult to kill despite what others may be telling you. Anything you would use on a whitetail is will work just fine for a pronghorn. As long as you don't plan on shooting more than 600 yards, I think a fast twist 243 is an excellent choice for pronghorn. Last year I used my 6mm Creedmoor and 115 gr bergers with great results. The most important thing is having a gun that you can shoot precisely in the wind. Pronghorn are small targets and it is often windy in places you will hunt pronghorn. I brought my 338 Lapua as my back up pronghorn gun just incase it was very windy. I'm good enough to call the wind on a 500 yard shot at pronghorn even in heavier winds with my Lapua. With my smaller guns like my 6mm Creedmoor I'm not good enough to call the wind for a 500 yard shot in 20-30 mph gusting winds.

Here is a picture of what was left of the 6mm 115 grain Berger bullet. I didn't weighed it but I'm guessing around only 40 grains left but it preformed as expected for a Berger. Impact velocity would be close to 2400 fps. Shot distance was about 450 yards. Pronghorn was bedded broadside and bullet entered dead center of right shoulder and was found on the far side of the left shoulder. It shattered bone on both the left and right shoulder. After the shot the pronghorn attempted to get up but tipped over dead before he could get to his feet.
2-B74-BB2-D-EE5-A-4-F15-B9-E6-6-D5-FFC89-DB60.jpg

I attached a couple picture of last years pronghorn because I always like seeing others pictures.
EDCE75-A7-0-B6-F-4-A7-C-9-BF9-A1-A2-D570310-C.jpg

AD2-B2-E1-A-6-C93-4-B71-A1-D3-FEFAF0-E3-C389.jpg

Last edited:
Don't overthink this; any non Varmit cup and core Bullet in 6mm diameter will work fine. I ve killed a number of antelope and the ones shot with my 243 or 240 Weatherby expired as fast OR FASTER than the ones I ve taken with a 130 270 Win or a 165 in my 300 Win.

Just use a bullet your gun likes and I d recommend one with the highest BC possible to help with winds.

Good Luck

How about the 87gr v-max
The 87 grain V-max and the 70 and particularly the 80 grain B-tips are awesome at putting that same size of game [50 to 300 pounds] on the ground fast and dead. The trouble is you can get some spectacular blood shot meat if you get away from just ribs. For some that's ok, it will still grind. I am just personally not a fan.

How heavy could I go with a hammer hunter in my 1:9 barrel? I know what their website suggests. If I follow that I'd be shooting the 80g. Even the 88g says it won't stabilize in my barrel. Any experience with shooting the 88g or 101g in 1:9 twist?

I would recommend not going any bigger than the site says better to be more stable and light than heavy and unstable. Minis are hard to get comfortable with lighter weights for caliber. Usually you lose the amount of penetration with weight on a cup core but monos of a light weight seem to drive right through. In fact I've not been able to catch a single cutting edge or hammer in an animal.
I've found some small petals but never the shank.

Here is what I have taken away so far. Antelope are not tough to kill, and don't have to be taken at extreme range. There is no magic bullet that is going to answers all my expectations. Just about any bullet will work (hence the vast suggestions on this thread). Find a reputable bullet that shoots great in my rig and practice practice practice.
DO NOT RULE OUT BERGER 87 GR. HUNTING VLD. LOT OF WHITE TAIL AND 15 ANTELOPE HARVESTED AND ONLY 1 THAT WE DID NOT SEE FALL DEAD.

Don't overthink this; any non Varmit cup and core Bullet in 6mm diameter will work fine. I ve killed a number of antelope and the ones shot with my 243 or 240 Weatherby expired as fast OR FASTER than the ones I ve taken with a 130 270 Win or a 165 in my 300 Win.

Just use a bullet your gun likes and I d recommend one with the highest BC possible to help with winds.

Good Luck
the best quote

I have hunted Antelope in Wyoming three times and hunted them in NW Oklahoma once. I used a .243 XP100 with 16" barrel in Oklahoma on a doe hunt and used the 95 grn. Accubond. Dropped her right there.
In Wyoming, I used the same pistol on one of the does I took around Casper at 205 yards with the Accubond.
On the others I used my Encore .243 rifle with the Accubonds at 180 yards and 405 yards. None of then took more than a few steps after falling over backwards, getting up and making a small circle.
I have taken several small whitetail in Oklahoma with my .243 Encore pistol using the 100 grn. Sierra Pro Hunter they don't make anymore but now I use the Speer Hot Core 100's. I took a 140 lb. doe in KS with my 6JDJ Contender at about 100 yards using the 95 grn Accubond. They are my go to bullets in my 6's, 6.5's, and 7's now.
Good luck on your hunt.

Mike

Here is my telescoping ammo idea. The case is wrapped in special ballistic paper. You dial in the target size and distance, whether you want to eat it or blow it up. The rifle decides how much leaves the barrel based on expected job performance. Aim ....heck just point in the general direction after selecting point of aim. Squeeze, the set up does the rest...boom.

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_1244536_rewind_kindlephoto-818100970.jpg
    IMG_20200414_1244536_rewind_kindlephoto-818100970.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20200414_1245050_rewind_kindlephoto-818185809.jpg
    IMG_20200414_1245050_rewind_kindlephoto-818185809.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
That is true for Barnes but absolutely false for the hammers. Hammer open very well and a bad shot is a bad shot. I can tell you after using hammers for several years now they expand very well. Went from them to cutting edge which worked great then to hammers. Hammers are by far the best for hunting.
Next paragraph I specifically said hammers are a mono option that's designed to come apart. At least I think I left that in.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.