Another hunter mauled

Ursus arctos horribilis. The scientific name for grizzly bear. Notice the last part of the name. That was not on accident. The Lewis and Clark expedition had a tough time with them. I think we may be at a time where they do not have enough fear of man.

Steve

Yep. I'm gonna go ahead and look for a dead elk carcass that has sat over night in grizzly country where there has already been one an attack. Without a weapon.

DARWINISM IS ALIVE AND WELL

We have some areas here in MT that the bears head toward gun shots knowing that there is a meal at the end. They recommend one person standing guard while the other dresses the animal. This wasn't going on when I was a kid. At least I don't remember it.

Steve

We have some areas here in MT that the bears head toward gun shots knowing that there is a meal at the end. They recommend one person standing guard while the other dresses the animal. This wasn't going on when I was a kid. At least I don't remember it.

Steve
That happens here in Grand Teton National Park also

I live in Idaho Falls, ID & hunt deer, elk & black bear near the SW corner of Yellowstone Park. Grizzly bears are on your mind all the time. Black bears & mule deer are my main goal. I despise elk hunting but will shoot one if it walks over to my truck & drops the tailgate!!! (They taste good but are as dumb as an onion)
Anyway, they are a concern. One of my best friends is a government hunter in MT. He deals with them all the time. He says bear spray works. I carry a rifle and spray. It will be a very long time before the public can hunt Grizz. When you live & hunt in Grizz country you just deal with it. My hunting buddy & I have called black bears with a predator call here. Knowing a Grizz could run in at any time makes this a bit tense. It sure is cool to watch a black bear come bouncing in holding his head high. You realize quickly that it is not a red fox coming to your call.
Thanks, Kirk

I know Wyoming has been talking about a grizzly season. It may come sooner than expected

I hope to God it's true.

Bears that have no fear of humans are dangerous. I know that this will cause PITA to become undone: humans are at the top of the list. No bear equals the life of a human being. While I've never killed a bear, nor do I have desire to kill a bear, I would stand 100% behind anyone who has killed any bear in self-defense or defense of another.

I hunt south and south/east of Grand Teton National Park. I don't deal with the grizzly presence that they do up north and east of GTNP. That said I did see a grizz last weekend at about 700yds while glassing. They're always in the back of my mind when calling when I'm anywhere close to home.

If the numbers are there we should get at least a trophy season.

I hunt south and south/east of Grand Teton National Park. I don't deal with the grizzly presence that they do up north and east of GTNP. That said I did see a grizz last weekend at about 700yds while glassing. They're always in the back of my mind when calling when I'm anywhere close to home.

If the numbers are there we should get at least a trophy season.

You hunting the grays? Had a buddy of mine there a few days ago, said there was a foot of snow and didn't see a single deer, went a little lower and him and his dad both ended up getting 180-190" deer. Lucky buggers...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.