Andy's 2015 DIY Colorado Elk Hunt

ADMIN

Administrator
Last year I called a 5x5 bull into archery range for my friend and hunting partner Matt deep in a beautiful remote valley in central Colorado, and Matt made an excellent heart shot as the bull was turning to leave. This year we were back in the same valley and our friend Scott was with us, but this time we were hunting during the first week of the rifle elk season. The three of us absolutely love archery elk hunting during the rut, but the LRH group mule deer hunt had me in Wyoming during September, so a DIY Colorado archery elk hunt was not in the cards this year. Instead, the three of us each used our single Colorado preference point to draw a first season rifle tag for October 10th though the 14th. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Andy's 2015 DIY Colorado Elk Hunt, By Andy Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Great write up!!! I'm going on my first DIY elk hunt in central CO this fall and I think Andy's article covers dang near anything I would have a question on!

What, if anything, would you do differently for a 2nd Rifle hunt vs a 1st??

Thanks and keep them coming!

Loved that article. What a great read....I didn't want it to end! I've done two DIY Colorado elk hunts now at similar elevations and your writing captures (as best it can with words) what it's like. Very well written. Thank you.

I'm glad you guys liked my article and I appreciate the kind words. I really enjoy reliving my hunts while writing about them.

I don't think I would do much different for a 2nd season rifle hunt in this particular area. If I was in a place where I expected lots more hunting pressure during the 2nd season compared to the first I might spend extra time trying to learn where the animals are pushed by all the hunters. That would probably involve spending more time way up high where I can glass the most country. In this area we spend lots of time up high glassing as it is.

If you are lucky and get some snow during 2nd season then you can use fresh tracks in the snow to your advantage.

Great read Andy and glad you had success. Colorado is a great place for non-residents to access wilderness without a guide and there are plenty of places to get away from the crowd.

Outstanding report and good job on the hunt! I really like all the attention to detail as your report gives very good information for equipment and hunting tactics. As a fellow flat lander from Minnesota I can definitely relate to your need to acclimate to the altitude. I'd really like to have a similar adventure one of these days I might need to find some more motivated friends though :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts