And now they go after pistol braces

The main thing that bothers me about this is the change and ambitious nature of the wording.
In the days of tennis balls and cane tips- the rule was if you shouldered your pistol, then it was an sbr-- so this would be very easy to figure out, shoulder it- bad, not shoulder it- ok. Pretty cut and dry

But with this new "rule interpretation" you no longer even have to shoot your pistol for it to be considered an sbr
It is no longer cut and dry, its up to interpretation. If the caliber/cartridge is too lage then its not a pistol, if the optics are not designed for pistols then it's not a pistol, if the "lop" is too long its not a pistol, if its too heavy its not a pistol.
Yet you see they don't actually give you any numbers for lop, weight, cartridge-- its all subjective .

After they get away with this, I expect they will carry it further-- if it has a handguard or forend then it won't be a pistol, then maybe "all bottleneck cartridges" won't be allowed as pistols, then what-- its a slippery slope
One of your options is to et the "free tax stamp" and register it, I'm guessing that any ar style chassis firearm will be "re-classified" as nfa items and need to be registered in the future
But you see that what happens with pistol braces could just be generated to pistol classification, which could even roll over to breach or bolt action pistols that fire "rifle cartridges" in the future.

Existing bottleneck pistol cartridges in actual pistols would stop them from expanding the definition to include all bottlenecks. Think 22 cm, 357 sig, 5.7fn et el.
They got away with taking a plastic bolt on butt stock and "re-defining" it as a machine gun. I wouldn't put anything past them.
What about the tc encore, xp-100, & lone eagle

Then there is the issue with "Pistol" marked lowers. As I understand it, lowers so marked have had the extra pistol excise tax paid by the manufacturer of record. If you put a 'buttstock' on it, it became a Class III SBR. If you put a brace on it, it's still a pistol. It looks like the real grey area is a non-pistol-marked Lower (usually marked 'Caliber Multi' that hasn't had the added excise tax paid. ATF opened this can of worms themselves when they said a brace on any lower was a 'Pistol'.

They got away with taking a plastic bolt on butt stock and "re-defining" it as a machine gun. I wouldn't put anything past them.
What about the tc encore, xp-100, & lone eagle
Do they have a buttstock that you can shoulder and fire as a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16"?

Nothing will stop them from expanding. They will only expand more and more until we have nothing legal left for them to expand to.
They haven't really expanded since 1968 and that was an update of 1934. These agents are only enforcing laws
Would this be an issue if when the first pistol brace showed up they killed it under the guise you had just created a sbr?

They haven't really expanded since 1968 and that was an update of 1934. These agents are only enforcing laws
Would this be an issue if when the first pistol brace showed up they killed it under the guise you had just created a sbr?
The times, they are a-changin'. It is not the agents that make the rules. It is the politics of the day that make the rules, and today's politics are heading straight down the slippery slope of complete gun control. Or did I just wake up in a bad mood?

Ummm, 1983? Bump stocks? Assault weapons ban? 922.r? etc.

Don't be a fudd.

Last edited:
You can book they are going after them. Lets hope they dont get the senate. It will take a while for it to wind through the courts and you never know. Roberts has been a big disappointment.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts