Ammo Selection -- Need help!

bpcrshooter is Rite on!!!!.................google cleaning rod use to check rifles twist, you could buy a case of Factory ammo Federal premium's , or Pendleton ammunition mfg,1-800-303-1304 they handload Barnes, Nosler, Swift, & Hornady bullets , gd luck !!! Pendleton ammunition.com

Great, thank you guys for the information?

Wow, something to look at for sure. Now, my only worry has been the grainage. Is the 162 or 168 too light for the animals I hunt?

The sectional density on a 162 or 168 is exceptional. They are definitely not too light for deer or elk. At the end of the day if you are not realoading then your ideal bullet may not be available in a lodging that your weapon system shoots well. When you hand lid your own you can sometimes find a load that your system will shoot. Other times certain guns just refuse to shoot some bullets.

For example i have a 300rum that will shoot lights out with 190 bergers. But no matter what I do I can't make it shoot 210s or 215s better than 1.5 MOA. Moral of the story, choose quality ammo and see what your gun likes

I have heard about those! Now, is the 160gr too light, especially for elk?

Both shots this year were pass throughs, I was pleased with the performance of the 160 accubond and will continue to use it for elk. I shot a bull last year with a Remington 150 gr accutip because they were the most accurate factory loads from my rifle. I had a slightly quartering to shot and hit him in the shoulder. The bullet disintegrated without penetrating the chest cavity. It did a fair amount of damage from the shock but I wouldn't recommend.

Just for the record Noslers 160 partition, is a Great bullet, anyone saying it ain't, don't know diddle, ive shoot them to 1,000 yds testing them in my 7stw............target 10.5/11.0 inch white paper plate & never a flyer ever. gd on you BigGriz gd post.

The sectional density on a 162 or 168 is exceptional. They are definitely not too light for deer or elk. At the end of the day if you are not realoading then your ideal bullet may not be available in a lodging that your weapon system shoots well. When you hand lid your own you can sometimes find a load that your system will shoot. Other times certain guns just refuse to shoot some bullets.

For example i have a 300rum that will shoot lights out with 190 bergers. But no matter what I do I can't make it shoot 210s or 215s better than 1.5 MOA. Moral of the story, choose quality ammo and see what your gun likes

Yes, seems to be what i'm gathering so far. I'll just need to shoot till i find what shoots the best

Both shots this year were pass throughs, I was pleased with the performance of the 160 accubond and will continue to use it for elk. I shot a bull last year with a Remington 150 gr accutip because they were the most accurate factory loads from my rifle. I had a slightly quartering to shot and hit him in the shoulder. The bullet disintegrated without penetrating the chest cavity. It did a fair amount of damage from the shock but I wouldn't recommend.
Thank you for the personal experience, i will take into consideration.

Just for the record Noslers 160 partition, is a Great bullet, anyone saying it ain't, don't know diddle, ive shoot them to 1,000 yds testing them in my 7stw............target 10.5/11.0 inch white paper plate & never a flyer ever. gd on you BigGriz gd post.
Yes, i have heard great things about the nosler partitions

My experience with the 7rm is in a Tikka. However I was startled how fantastic it shot with the standard cup and core hunting bullets. This is an older Tikka. Before the T3. It would maintain moa at 480 yards with cheap hunting ammo from several different makes.

Hello all!

Well, I received my Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 and am excited to get it mounted. Next step, I need to choose ammo for my rifle. I am looking for factory loads, as I don't have access to reloading equipment. The rifle is a Winchester Model 70 chambered in 7mm rem mag. I hunt elk, deer, black bear and cougar. I would like a round that can do the job out to a MAX 600 yards, however most shots will most likely not exceed 450-500 yards.

What all recommendations? I have heard about the HSM 168gr Berger VLD factory loads, but is the a good round? Or should I look elsewhere?
Try the Hornady Precision Hunter, Federal Premium, and Winchester Supreme looking at the 150gr to about 165gr offerings.

With factory ammo I'd generally recommend trying at least three different types and see which shoots best for you then go with that.

My experience with the 7rm is in a Tikka. However I was startled how fantastic it shot with the standard cup and core hunting bullets. This is an older Tikka. Before the T3. It would maintain moa at 480 yards with cheap hunting ammo from several different makes.

Ok, great. Yes I am not super worried about being able to shoot a 3 shot grouping the size of a dime at 700 yards, but want something with enough punch and accuracy to humanely take the game I am hunting.

Thank you for the recommendations!
No problem. For about 20 years I was guiding hard 7 months a year and had no time during the season for reloading. Then for several years I just had most of my reloading equipment in storage because I couldn't sit long enough to do a decent job of reloading due to a back injury so I had to shoot a lot of factory ammo.

Those four always or at least nearly always worked well for me in multiple calibers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.