Ammo prices

ZIMM

A friend of mine who is in the hunting industry stated that ammo prices are going to jump a minimum of 30% in 2008. Anyone else heard anything about it?
Z

The good folks at 6mmbr.com posted this on their daily bulletin a month or so ago. I think it said something like, remington announced their ammo prices would be going up 30% come January 1st. I have been telling my friends to stock up.

Is this just Remington, raising their prices? I haven't heard otherwise.

I had a class last weekend with a guy that worked for Cabela's and he said all ammo prices are month to month regardless of what the price sheet says. They won't guarantee any pricing on orders.

I'll GUARANTEE that they will go up! How much is dependant on LOTS of issues, like copper prices, lead prices, brass prices, etc. The manufacturers will raise prices until nobody buys it, then come down a little.

Hired Gun, wanna bet? Projectile prices have already jumped some, and the bet is that primers and powder will too.

Bill

Prices

Why are they raising prices?? Because they can. Metal prices around the world are going down, just check the market's!! The ammo plants are running at full capacity. They are selling all they can make. So why not go for more profit-so they can stick it too us. Again-because they can.
No politicians will stick up for us. As shooter's we are the minority. Get used to it. Tom.

The cost of base metals are going through the roof, especially lead. You can thank the Chinese, India and some others for this.

I'm betting that most of you don't reload shotshells, or at least haven't bought shot recently. :)

The cost of lead shot has gone up to $40.00+ per 25lb. bag.
Lead has gone from 20 cents a pound about 2 years ago to a high of $1.85 per lb. about 2 weeks ago.
It is on the way down though, for now. It closed today at $1.2659
We can only hope that trend continues, though I won't hold my breath.

Why are they raising prices?? Because they can. Metal prices around the world are going down, just check the market's!! The ammo plants are running at full capacity. They are selling all they can make. So why not go for more profit-so they can stick it too us. Again-because they can.
No politicians will stick up for us. As shooter's we are the minority. Get used to it. Tom.

There going down now HOGGHEAD, but recently they were doing nothing but going up as I stated above. (We both posted at the same time...)

FUEL COSTS!!!

Everything revolves around the cost of energy, well almost.

It takes fuel to get the stuff out of the ground, process it, deliver it, etc. As those prices go up, as will the cost to us.

The ammo manufacturers are in the business to make money. As their overhead costs go up, those costs will be passed on to the end user.

I'm supprised the cost of everything hasn'nt gone up a lot faster considering how fast the price of fuel has gone up the last year or two.

bwaits and HOGGHEAD have a point; as GREAT as most of the people are in the shooting industries, the people who make the BIG decisions make them based on profit and loss margins. Supply and demand says that if you are producing at full capacity and selling all goods, raise the price until sales just start to fall off so you can maximize profits.

I hate to be cynical but as much as we want the component manufacturers to be our "friends" they are first and formost a business, and as such they need to maximize profits for the stock holders or lose their jobs. Like it or not, those profits come from our pockets; sorry. As long as they are not gouging us we should accept some inflation. Hopefully, if we continue to support them, they will continue to support us also.

accept some inflation? 20 to 30 percent per year on rifles is not some inflation it's robbery. The Same with fuel. Those oil guys just aren't rich enough yet to buy there own country so we get screwed. Talk about sticking it in you @ss.

A friend of mine who is in the hunting industry stated that ammo prices are going to jump a minimum of 30% in 2008. Anyone else heard anything about it?
Z

This has been circulating around the net all yr. It's hokey. Sure ammo will go up 3-5% like everything else, gas, groc, eggs, milk. A 30-40% ammo increse is what DEALERS are hopng for. Green box Rem 06 ammo at ChinaMart is less than 14.00 a box and has been for three yrs. What does that tell you? Nothing. Its urban dealer myth that 40%. I buy several boxes of loaded ammo every month when I get paid and I see little or no diff in prices from Jan 07 to Dec 07.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.