Alternative Options

wvbearhunter

I am.a huge fan of 300 PRC and have a couple rifles chambered for it. A Zermatt and a Savage Elite. I have not fired the savage but am at around 500rds for the Zermatt. My problem is (I am a lefty btw) that I had shoulder surgery a few months ago and now find the magnum too unfortable to shoot. I am developing a flinch as a result. These are magnum receivers so my options are limited. What lower recoiling calibers are out there for these? Barrel swap for both are pretty easy. I have no issue with hot loaded 308 Win or even 45-70 recoil. I cannot really sell them locally as lefties are not in high demand.

I am.a huge fan of 300 PRC and have a couple rifles chambered for it. A Zermatt and a Savage Elite. I have not fired the savage but am at around 500rds for the Zermatt. My problem is (I am a lefty btw) that I had shoulder surgery a few months ago and now find the magnum too unfortable to shoot. I am developing a flinch as a result. These are magnum receivers so my options are limited. What lower recoiling calibers are out there for these? Barrel swap for both are pretty easy. I have no issue with hot loaded 308 Win or even 45-70 recoil. I cannot really sell them locally as lefties are not in high demand.
Do you have a muzzle brake on them? I have a Zermatt with Proof and Terminator T3 brake in .300 PRC, 6.5 PRC and 7mm mag. All are very pleasant to shoot. If you already have a brake and it's to much then 6.5 PRC would be great option IMO.

Last edited:
Get them threaded for brakes.
I, too, had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, rotator cuff repair and removal of the A/C joint (clavicle/shoulder blade joint) all I could shoot for 2 years were 22-250/22-250AI & 25-06, any more recoil than these was painful. Was up to speed on all of my magnums over the next 12 months, including 375H&H/Weatherby, 416 Rigby/450Rigby, 458 Lott, 404 Jeffrey etc…
Brakes will help…

Cheers.

You can change the bolt head on both of the actions you list. This opens the field to any long action cartridge. Evan a 284 in a long action so many people love.

Recent Posts