Almost too easy

dogbuster0006

Now that deer rifle and muzzy season are over I'm back on the warpath against tree rats.
4 from the bathroom window this morning and another from the porch this evening. We'll have squirrel soup to help knock chill off this week.
All shots were from a suppressed 22lr with 40gr hp.
These suckers have been stirring the dogs while raiding our bird feeders at daylight for the past week so we got a little revenge this morning. Taking only headshots keeps it challenging and is more fun than one man should have. My wife just laughs and asks if I need a refill on the coffee. The dogs are making some solid retrieves so I didn't even need my boots or coat this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpeg
    IMG_4095.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_4085.jpeg
    IMG_4085.jpeg
    450.3 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_4094.jpeg
    IMG_4094.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 360
Out here in the desert we have little ground squirrels that live in holes in the ground. They are about the size of a chipmunk. Little buggers pack away all the seed from my quail feeder and gnaw away at the grain block on the ground too. I have a couple sandbags and a suppressed 22 out my office window about 35 to 40 yards away. I nearly extincted them during COVID lockdown in 2020. They are coming back now but very stealthy.

Reading your post has motivated me. Thank you for inviting me back to the party. Yee Yee.

Congrats. It is very fun to whack them. Especially when they have become a pest.
78 from my yard with a pellet rifle and traps so far this "season". I had let them go for years, but once they got into the attic I was mad, when they got under the hood of my Duramax and chewed a few wires, it was war. I seem to be thinning the herd considerably now. I still see one occasionally, but when they see me, it is running for the hills. Some have gone into the stew pot, but most have been put in the crab pots or used for trapping meat.

At the farm, I have peanuts out for bear. Once bear season is out, it is time for the 22-250 AI to shoot them at range. Eastern NC Prairie Dog shoot on squirrels. If you have not tried it, put it on the list. They don't sit still long, so you not only need to be a good shot, but also need to be fast on the trigger, as they normally only stop for a few seconds sitting upright.

Congrats. It is very fun to whack them. Especially when they have become a pest.
78 from my yard with a pellet rifle and traps so far this "season". I had let them go for years, but once they got into the attic I was mad, when they got under the hood of my Duramax and chewed a few wires, it was war. I seem to be thinning the herd considerably now. I still see one occasionally, but when they see me, it is running for the hills. Some have gone into the stew pot, but most have been put in the crab pots or used for trapping meat.

At the farm, I have peanuts out for bear. Once bear season is out, it is time for the 22-250 AI to shoot them at range. Eastern NC Prairie Dog shoot on squirrels. If you have not tried it, put it on the list. They don't sit still long, so you not only need to be a good shot, but also need to be fast on the trigger, as they normally only stop for a few seconds sitting upright.
We've done some of that here in OK. They're a challenging target at 300 and beyond

Rascals have chewed the abs sensor wire on my truck a couple times now it's a personal vendetta for me…lol I always enjoyed hunting them as a kid we used to float the river in a canoe and get them. My great grandfather used to have us leave a couple heads intact so he could have squirrel brains with his eggs when we hunted his place. He'd always want a count of the rabbits and squirrels we'd seen. He passed at 97yrs old could barely see anymore but would light up when we went to visit and tell the stories.
I remember being 6 or 7, he had to 75 we brought my beagle pup with us to Thanksgiving or Christmas and ran a couple rabbits. He couldn't get around very good anymore, he had gotten rid of his rabbit and squirrel dogs by then. As we made a short loop around his old barn and some round bales the pup yelped and out one ran. My Winchester 37 .410 didn't fit me but I managed to roll it, Lucky was on it in a flash. As the back slaps ended he pointed out a second one in the briars and I killed it sitting. "Usually we let the dogs take them for loop son, but that one was begging to come home with us" he said. It was the first rabbits I remember shooting he asked me about that " little pup" every time I saw him for 10yrs or so years. He was as proud as my dad if not more, he's been gone for many years now but I'll never forget that smile.

Now that deer rifle and muzzy season are over I'm back on the warpath against tree rats.
4 from the bathroom window this morning and another from the porch this evening. We'll have squirrel soup to help knock chill off this week.
All shots were from a suppressed 22lr with 40gr hp.
These suckers have been stirring the dogs while raiding our bird feeders at daylight for the past week so we got a little revenge this morning. Taking only headshots keeps it challenging and is more fun than one man should have. My wife just laughs and asks if I need a refill on the coffee. The dogs are making some solid retrieves so I didn't even need my boots or coat this morning.
I like squirrel hunting more than deer. They drag a lot easier too. Lol

Good for you. We don't have any good squirrel hunting here in Montana and I sure do miss it. Every once in awhile we get a gray squirrel coming to the bird feeder but I think he is the only gray squirrel for miles. My dog goes crazy every time he shows up. Keep up the good work!

Same here in Wyoming! I have to travel farther for decent squirrel hunting…..than for decent elk hunting! 🤬 memtb

Recent Posts