Affordable starter/donor rifle

From my understanding when talking with many people of late....
The Ruger American is quite the rifle...
Although change is 'good'....sometimes...
The price of putting together rifles is getting up there.....
Maybe consider a newer version of the Ruger American.....lightweight...solid rifles....shooting excellent....
Holes can be dug at an extreme amount.. maybe coming up with rifle combinations that just don't shoot.....I wish I hadn't jumped into the LRH pit......
"This will be the last one"..."no..really"....
Funny you say that, my ruger American predator that he killed his buck with in 6.5 CM is incredibly accurate, it's actually quite frustrating. I won it at a banquet dinner and I already had a vortex viper laying around, paid $100 for rings…. And it shoots 1/2-5/8" consistently with hornady superformance… and it's light!

So, I have no reason to actually do a rifle build for him, other than he thinks that my custom is the bees knees and I want to develop a really cool reward system for him as he ages.

I guess I should ask this… is there a manufacturer making a carbon fiber stock for ruger American? How easy can the barrel/trigger be swapped? I've never heard of anyone using a ruger to start from.

I started with a savage 114 blued/ walnut 30-06 and eventually changed the barrel to 6.5x55. Don't shoot it much anymore and had some issues with the cocking piece getting grooved out. The accutrigger is pretty good but I hate the lower bolt release on that rifle.

My customized Tikka is awesome. The action is far more refined. 70* bolt throw is great, and the bolt stop is high on the side of the action like most customs. Factory trigger is excellent especially if you add the $10 light trigger spring. You can change the bolt stop and mag to convert between LA and Short action. The factory stock isn't bad and accessories like the vertical grip and beaver tail fore end can be added. Definitely one of the higher quality plastics used for factory stocks.
As mentioned, shouldered prefit barrels are easily had that you can install yourself and there are quite a few stock options as well. Plenty of other small accessories like bolt handles and knobs, pic rails, bottom metals, magazines and such are available and could fit into your plan nicely to slowly upgrade.
I'd look for a used lite stainless with any standard .473" bolt face cartridge. Then you could adapt the rifle to anything from 22 BR to 35 Whelen.

I will add a vote for a Savage SA/LA (10/110) for ease of upgradeability and part availability. I would avoid the Axis/Edge rifles as there fewer parts, especially stocks, available.

I see similar projects in my shop, and excited young hunters looking forward to the next milestone.

There is a switch-barrel project that I am working on for a 12 YO young lady that will be a big game hunting/varminting combo in 7-08 and .22-250

I guess I should ask this… is there a manufacturer making a carbon fiber stock for ruger American? How easy can the barrel/trigger be swapped? I've never heard of anyone using a ruger to start from.
I cannot speak for the American but I know a few that build on M77s. @Alibiiv has one in .270 AI. I have two M77 MKIIs, and will be doing a project build when it is due for a re-barrel.

Would not surprise me if the Ruger American becomes the next action favored for diy builds. Somewhere around here I saw a post that hinted at barrel changes being an easy thing to do, but no direct knowledge of that. From just a little digging right now it would appear that the American uses a barrel nut system like the Savages do. That should make diy barrel swaps and sourcing chambered barrels a bit easier. Little Crow Gunworks makes a barrel nut wrench. It looks rather crude, but I'll guess that it works.

I'm in the middle of my second Savage build, with 2 more waiting. The actions are not exquisite pieces of machinery art by any stretch, but as a tool they are more than capable.

I think the idea to build overtime is pretty awesome!

If you are looking to build, you can get look at an older Remington 700 or Winchester 70 that have shot out barrels or just collecting dust. These can be found at pretty reasonable prices sometimes and have great actions in my opinion. If you want to go ground up, you could start here. That noted, some of these rifles shoot great as-is with handloads. Parts are easy to come by for either action.

There are so many rabbit holes to go down and they are all very deep. :)

My friend bought a savage 110 from cabelas ,in 6.5 Creed ! He found it on their web sight . The model that was on the rack for several months ! Think it was around 450 or 500 bucks ! Had the box and most of the optional spacers ! It was shipped to a bass pro in NJ. And sold to him as used !! A few small scratches in the stock !! ! Still had tags and stickers on it , He was in Mass so he dropped it off at savage customer. Service! The checked out the rifle ,and gave him the missing spacers for free. He loves it and it shoots factory ammo really well! I would check the cabelas and bass pro shops website for similar deals !

The savage 110 would be about the best place to start imho. The new stocks come factory with length of pull adjustment so it can fit him better now. And the savages I own and have owned have been excellent shooters from the factory. Another big plus is that mesa started inletting thier stocks for new bottom bolt release rifles recently. I would personally find a savage with the metal bottom metal since you want to make it nicer in the future. And used is always an option for a smaller budget, and normally easy to find used savages in that configuration. Good luck!

I have built rifles on both the Tikka and Axis actions.

If this is going to be a rifle he can eventually grow old with, then the Tikka easily gets my nod. Although the actions are more expensive than the Savage Axis, they are smooth as glass and have the ability to take shoulder pre-fit barrels you can install yourself. This feature alone will save you $300-$400 in gunsmithing when you want a custom barrel. I use my Tikka as a swap barrel rifle with CF barrels in both 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM. You can pick up used Tikkas for around $625 on gunbroker.

The Savage Axis is a great little rifle on its own. They tend to be accurate out of the box and very inexpensive. Cabelas/Bass Pro usually have a sale on them on Black Friday (you just missed it). With the Savage rebate, you will have a Savage Axiss II combo (cheap scope) out the door for right around $300. Bolt action can be a little rough - but can be worked on. Upgraded stocks are very limited (no high end stocks that I am aware of), but there are some mid-tier in polymer and wood laminate materials. Pre-fit barrels are available, but only the barrel nut conversion style that also require go/no go gauges. But this route still saves you a lot on gunsmitthing by swapping barrels at home. I did this several years back wih an Axis II in 243 that I converted to a 22 Creedmoor. Patriot Valley Arms SS barrel with a Boyds laminated stock. It will never measure up to my custom rifles, but it is a very accurate rifle.

The Savage 110 action is also an option, but getting into one via a donor rifle is getting up there in price that you are in striking distance of a Tikka used rifle. Send me a PM if you have more questions. I would be happy to share what I have learned.

Nothing wrong with the Ruger American my grandkids have been using one in 308 for deer antelope and elk! Why not wait until he is fully grown and get him a good rifle he can use the rest of his life for everything he'd want to hunt!

Would not surprise me if the Ruger American becomes the next action favored for diy builds. Somewhere around here I saw a post that hinted at barrel changes being an easy thing to do, but no direct knowledge of that. From just a little digging right now it would appear that the American uses a barrel nut system like the Savages do. That should make diy barrel swaps and sourcing chambered barrels a bit easier. Little Crow Gunworks makes a barrel nut wrench. It looks rather crude, but I'll guess that it works.

I'm in the middle of my second Savage build, with 2 more waiting. The actions are not exquisite pieces of machinery art by any stretch, but as a tool they are more than capable.
Building off the Ruger actually does look pretty viable. It uses the same threads as a tikka, so most tikka prefit makers also make a Ruger American prefit, and I think you can use a shoulderless tikka prefit for a RA, but not 100% sure. Quick google searches show options for stocks/chassis (MDT, B&C, McMillian) and triggers. Its a good shooter now, I'm not sure I see much of an argument for going for a savage over it.

Edit: McMillian was a false result. Stocks do appear to be a weakspot, but that will probably improve over time.