Advice on bear hunting

Parsons85

I live in Charleston, WV. Ive hunted deer for 15 years and I have never been bear hunting before. I dont even know where to start. I would love to get started and maybe teach my kids how. If you have any advice or know anybody that does please let me know

I live in the northern interior of B.C. Canada. We spot and stalk our spring bears as bateing is not allowed. We look to the south face of slides and hills, they like the warmth and also the new green. The bears are wakeing up from their long nap and they need to get their digestion going. We also cruze the logging roads at about 35 MPH and watch for bears along the side of the roads eating the new sprouting clover, they love it. When we spot one, we quickly get out of our trucks throw a round in, line up and shoot. U have to be quick. about 3 seconds or better, cuz them bears dont stick around when they get wind of you. We also walk into large logging clear cuts quiet like and glass the hills. If you have been deer hunting for 15 years hunting bear ante much different, you got to spot one and shoot em. When they first wake up its sort of easy to get up on them as they are dopey and not fullly awake yet. The fall hunt is an entirely different story they are wide awake and are trying to pack on the fat for their next sleep. They are a bit harder to spot and stalk.

Eaglesnester pretty much nailed it.
The details can vary from place to place and region to region but it mostly the same everywhere you go. Spot and stock, bait, or ambush. Baiting isn't legal here in Oregon, do I've never tried it but spot and stock is my prefered hunting meathod for most everything anyway.
We regularly harvest nice bears this way over here.
Specifically what did you want to know? Maybe we can help full you in.

Wow sorry for the horrible spelling guys. First time I've posted from a smart-phone. Apparently it decides what your trying to type and changes the words.... hmmmmm...

Find out what they eat where you hunt. Out here in the west, berries are a real big deal in the fall. They'll go crazy for berry bushes.

Use a decent spotting scope, and a big enough rifle. Good bullets. Sometimes they die quick, other times they seem to soak up a lot of lead before they're done. I'm no expert - but bears are very, very cool to hunt.

Best of luck! Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.