Accurate mag feed lips and single feeding

Stevenstl86

I have a ruckus action, Hawkins bottom metal with an accurate mag. On the shooting bench single feeding has been a challenge setting a round in and trying to close the bolt. It slides off the mag then falls bullet first nosing down before the chamber and stops. Feeds fine using the mag but does leave marks on the brass. Does anyone tweak or massage feed lips on an accurate mag? I have never had experiences like this with aics mags.

Attachments

• IMG_0592.png
    IMG_0592.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
If the mag lips are leaving marks on your brass when feeding, a very light touch on the inside with some fine emory cloth should solve that. Just need to knock off the sharp edge.
Besides changing it out to a Hawkins M5 Oberndorf BDL should I try a different mag? I like how the bdl mags feed for the off chance I need or want to hand feed rounds. I don't know if anyone has had the same experience.

I have a ruckus action, Hawkins bottom metal with an accurate mag. On the shooting bench single feeding has been a challenge setting a round in and trying to close the bolt. It slides off the mag then falls bullet first nosing down before the chamber and stops. Feeds fine using the mag but does leave marks on the brass. Does anyone tweak or massage feed lips on an accurate mag? I have never had experiences like this with aics mags.
Yes

instead of just tossing a round in, get in the habit of starting the tip into the chamber. Not hard to do.....
I have but it still wants to nose down. I have to hold onto the rim like a controlled bolt. Sometimes I get lucky and get one to slide in. Still looks like the feed lips are too tall, maybe it's just the nature of it. This is happening with hand loads and different box ammo.

Tim w and Handgun have great ideas.

If metal mags are scuffing my brass, I generally polish the feed lips with a Drexel and felt Bob with polishing compound or a fine rubber polishing tip impregnated with abrasive. Just go slow.

Whenever I use a mag fed gun, I've just gotten into the habit of mag feeding it.

Tim w and Handgun have great ideas.

If metal mags are scuffing my brass, I generally polish the feed lips with a Drexel and felt Bob with polishing compound or a fine rubber polishing tip impregnated with abrasive. Just go slow.

Whenever I use a mag fed gun, I've just gotten into the habit of mag feeding it.
I'm working on polishing the accurate mag lips to see if it helps. I'll try and pick up a ai mag also.

I have another gun with a tenacity/hawkins bottom metal that feeds flawlessly in the internal box mag or setting one round in. One of my gap rifles had badger bottom metal and a ai mag fed great both ways as well.

I'm working on polishing the accurate mag lips to see if it helps. I'll try and pick up a ai mag also.

I have another gun with a tenacity/hawkins bottom metal that feeds flawlessly in the internal box mag or setting one round in. One of my gap rifles had badger bottom metal and a ai mag fed great both ways as well.
Is it possible that the mag is sitting too high. If this remains a problem with all mags, perhaps the mag latch could be modified. Not something I know much about.

Is it possible that the mag is sitting too high. If this remains a problem with all mags, perhaps the mag latch could be modified. Not something I know much about.
I don't think so. This rifle was built by crescent customs who use to work for gap. Gun shoots in the .2-.3 all day with just about anything i put through it. First time having an accurate mag with a build.

Last edited: