Accuracy Loss

Ag, thanks for the follow-up post cluing us in to what you figured out. May help someone else down the line. I hope you have a mild episode of covid and are back to normal soon. Very sad you had to forfeit your hunt.

I would bet that you have found your problem with the longer brass changing your neck tension, I will randomly check brass after cleaning and if I find some long I will trim that batch. This might be a good habit to get into, I also anneal my brass every other time.

Seems like a few of you consider the case solved and closed. I'm just not on that page yet. I really don't think three shots at 1/2 then 2 inches, then 1" and now 3/4" is any indication of anything except the random nature of one day, bench setup, rifle manners, etc etc. Before I accept any of that, I'd really like to see some 5 or ten shot groups and/or some aggregates. Given that it's a sporter barrel, it should be done with plenty of time to cool down between shots.

Seems like a few of you consider the case solved and closed. I'm just not on that page yet. I really don't think three shots at 1/2 then 2 inches, then 1" and now 3/4" is any indication of anything except the random nature of one day, bench setup, rifle manners, etc etc. Before I accept any of that, I'd really like to see some 5 or ten shot groups and/or some aggregates. Given that it's a sporter barrel, it should be done with plenty of time to cool down between shots.
I don't really care all that much how a rifle shoots at 100yds anyway. Pretty easy to get some good three shot groups at that distance. See how well it shoots at the maximum range you are willing to take a shot
If it don't get it done, close the range till it does. Does anything else truly matter?

Well I am fully recovered and back at it. Took the rifle out for another range session for verification since the last go around was better but not back to normal. Shot (2) 5 round groups that both measured 1.25moa. Still not what I am accustomed to seeing.

I noticed that the muzzle brake has a bur at the start of each baffle. It appears the steel has "rolled" into each of the 4 ports. I have never seen this and am wondering if this could be my issue? I can slide a pic against each baffle and it will catch when it hits the lip. I measured the end of the brake with my calipers and found the hole to be .330. When I measure further in at the rolled lip I get .320, .010 smaller than it should be. I found an interesting Facebook post from Elite Accuracy about this very topic that has me curious. Has anyone seen this before? Could this be causing my issues?

Attachments

• IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    867.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    886.3 KB · Views: 94
The last 2 pictures are of my muzzle brake that is in question. If you look close you can see a shiny raised ring at the start of the last baffle. Each of the 4 baffles have this same condition.

I have removed the brake and plan to try without it next time out, but it now has me curious.

Yes, it's a good plan to remove and re-test.
It also appears to be a "cast" metal brake. I would think the casting doesn't have the same amount of erosion resistance than a wrought alloy bar, machined from solid.
Let us know how your test goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.