A "bargain" rifle and Competition

Litehiker

I purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle and topped it with a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 tactical scope with a H-59 reticle.

I have competed in long range (up to 960 yards) competitions at my home range and in PRS competition at a range on the west side of the 'Vegas valley. Both competitions have helped me to understand what it takes to be successful in long range shooting in several ways.

So... for hunting I purchased a Ruger American Predator, also in 6.5 CM. I liked my Bushnell tactical scope so well that I got a similar scope for hunting, a SWFA 3 - 15 x 42 mil/mil scope with FFP reticle.

With hunting bullets in the 140 gr. range I think I can take deer to 600 yards and elk to 400 yards. 143 gr, Hornady ELD-X bullets have proven to be very accurate in this rifle so I'll stick with them for now. When I get my reloading gear all out of storage boxes and set up with my new RCBS turret press and Hornady precision dies I will try Berger bullets with H 4350 powder.

Hunting out west is a much different ball game than my native Pennsylvania where my .308 Savage 99 C was just perfect for Penn's Woods. Now I have to learn a LOT about longer range shooting in the wind. "Luckily" my range is usually windy. ;o)

Eric B.
P.S. I do own a.300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker. For bull elk I'll take it. And yes, it is a sub-MOA rifle with my hand loads with Berger 230 gr. Hybrids that I loaded in Pennsylvania.

Good to hear the rpr works so well I've had a 6.5 creed on order for about 7 months now. Thinking along the lines you are. I'll use that to practice with most the time and use my pierce 6.5 for hunting. First I need to receive both and see how they shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.