8X? 10X? 12X? For My NEW 222?

In the mid-70s, my dad built a .22 on a Sako barreled action, topped with a Weaver K6. All my brothers and I shot that for many years in Oregon on squirrels from 50 - 500 yards. It was accurate and deadly, with that straight power we learned to hold into the wind and over the target. One of my brothers still has it. I believe it has a Leupold 6.5 X 20 on it, but that's because we all have older eyes.

I have a mid 70's rem ADL in 222 rem and love it. Scope is older redfield 6X fine crosshair with small dot. Some shots at ground squirrels can be just a few yards and 6X is great for these shots and still work at 200 plus. I have tried low light shots at coyotes and can not even see crosshairs/dot so they got away!

The 222 is really only good for shots a little over maybe 250 yards especially in hunting conditions or larger varmits

BUTTERBEAN is right 8x for this lower velocity but still great 22 cal cartridge

But that late 70's leupold 6.5 by 20 by 50 that is sitting on a shelf does need to find a new gun
Not sure about that. I've pushed the duece to the 600yd mark a few times, and most everything between 3-400yds is a near given. When reaching on out, I prefer a good 55gr BT or even a 60gr to better anchor a yote. Most of the P-dogs are shot with 50-55's, with the TNT being one of my most accurate and most explosive at longer ranges.

For a few years, I used one of my 222 BR rifles for 300m golf ball shoots, and even the 500yd soda can shoots. While not as effective as the 6BR's and similar, I could hold my own in the 22 category.

An '0ld School' 222Rem Varmint rifle fell out the sky. l have been given the choice of a 8X, 10X, or 12X scope.

All 3 are fixed pwr 40mm AO Leupolds in great shape. The giver of the gift says, ''Pick just ONE for the 222''.

To respect the Giver that's what l will do. Which do l choose for my ''NEW'' 222?

Thanks,
Go 12X better to have and not need than to need and not have,all my varmint rifles carry 24 to 32 power,works for me.

Not sure about that. I've pushed the duece to the 600yd mark a few times, and most everything between 3-400yds is a near given. When reaching on out, I prefer a good 55gr BT or even a 60gr to better anchor a yote. Most of the P-dogs are shot with 50-55's, with the TNT being one of my most accurate and most explosive at longer ranges.

For a few years, I used one of my 222 BR rifles for 300m golf ball shoots, and even the 500yd soda can shoots. While not as effective as the 6BR's and similar, I could hold my own in the 22 category.
For sure my 17 hornet kills perfectly out to 282 yards , longest shot on coyotes in 3 years,gh's easily 250. Shown below coyote in bean field neck shot at 282,DRT. 24x variable floating dot with converging crosshairs ,Hawke. Makes for a large clearly defined target and guaranteed precision shot placement.

Attachments

• drt0.jpeg
    drt0.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 11
An '0ld School' 222Rem Varmint rifle fell out the sky. l have been given the choice of a 8X, 10X, or 12X scope.

All 3 are fixed pwr 40mm AO Leupolds in great shape. The giver of the gift says, ''Pick just ONE for the 222''.

To respect the Giver that's what l will do. Which do l choose for my ''NEW'' 222?

Thanks,
Prob 20 years ago I went to a local gun show. I've VERY rarely bought a gun at gun shows. I wasn't looking to buy a gun at the gun show, but I found a very nice Remington Model 700 w/ a pretty wooden stock, heavy barrel in 222 Remington and a Leupold 12X scope. I passed. I've ALWAYS regretted passing on the gun. I think about it. every time a go to a gun show. Having said that, I'd go w/ the 12X for your 222. Keep us updated.

I see this is a bumped old thread, having said that - my model 7 triple deuce wears a 2.5-7 leupold. Short and nimble - a sweety to carry! Really- really love that combo for max point blank shooting on coyotes/squirrels.