88 grain hammer or 105 Berger?

Wysongdog

I've got a late season mule deer hunting coming up in a couple weeks. My 6cm likes both the Berger and hammer bullet listed above? Any reason to pick one over the other?
Thanks Bryan

I'm deadly at 100 lol just like bow hunting deadly at 20 lol. I don't plan on shooting super far 500 is my max unless stuff goes south And I need a follow up.

I'm deadly at 100 lol just like bow hunting deadly at 20 lol. I don't plan on shooting super far 500 is my max unless stuff goes south And I need a follow up.
Have you tried to group both loads at 500 yards? If the hammers group good then they should still work good at 500 yards considering you are probably 3200-3300 fps out the muzzle.

Velocity of the Hammer from your gun? I haven't tested the 6mm Hammer offerings but if they're anything like the 30, 25, and 270 cal, keep impact velocity high (above 2k) and the HH will be your huckleberry. Otherwise use the Berger.

Lightweight Hammers seem to lose velocity fast. (probable true of lightweight non-Hammers as well) I was flying the 85gr 6.5 Hammers at 3,700fps but a quick look at a ballistic table told me that they weren't holding velocity very well, even at 100yds. However, some say that impact velocity is irrelevant with Hammers providing that you exceed the 1,800 fps on impact.

Terminal performance with Hammers has been impressive in my limited experience.

I've got a late season mule deer hunting coming up in a couple weeks. My 6cm likes both the Berger and hammer bullet listed above? Any reason to pick one over the other?
Thanks Bryan
Neither one is a magic bullet. Don't complicate it unnecessarily. Pick one that best shoot out your rifle and best suited for WY's windy condition. Good luck.

@lancetkenyon shoots the 105 Berger in his 6 CM.

My 6CM loves the 105 Bergers and it has dumped every whitetail buck I have used it on out to 200 yards. (Have not had a shot yet past that) As you know, the bullets do not exit but the bucks have crumbled when hit behind the shoulder. I have no experience with the Hammers.

The photo is a 190# SC buck from 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• 381796C9-33F1-4D8F-BD37-C95163AF5681.jpeg
    381796C9-33F1-4D8F-BD37-C95163AF5681.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 72

Recent Posts