800yd Coyote/ varmint rifle

Why not plug in a 264WM 85gr HP at 3827fps which is what I get with my Shilen 30" barrel. Could go faster just haven't tried as that is the old book load.

Sure why not..........this load will drift 105.2 inch in a 10 mph wind @ 800 yards. Pretty much double what the 105 will do in the ARC.

If you want to try to keep up with the 105 you need to go slower and longer in a bullet not faster and stubier (not sure that's a word but you get the point I hope).

Side note, I've used that 85 Sierra HP a ton load out of a 6.5/06 and a 260. I love the bullet, accurate as all get out. But, I only use it for closer range work and for "youth" loads for my G-kids to shoot rodents with. It is one accurate sob though!

I've been wanting a 6 or 6.5mm AR of some flavor for coyotes and wolves.

Thought about an AR10 but the increase in the weight and bulk turned me off.

A long pack in with a 10 doesn't seem like a fun day.
FWIW I don't really notice much difference between a 20" HBAR AR15 in 5.56 and a 20" HBAR AR10 in .308W. The ammo weight is where I notice the difference. Can't say that I've weighed either of them, maybe I should?

Sure why not..........this load will drift 105.2 inch in a 10 mph wind @ 800 yards. Pretty much double what the 105 will do in the ARC.

If you want to try to keep up with the 105 you need to go slower and longer in a bullet not faster and stubier (not sure that's a word but you get the point I hope).

Side note, I've used that 85 Sierra HP a ton load out of a 6.5/06 and a 260. I love the bullet, accurate as all get out. But, I only use it for closer range work and for "youth" loads for my G-kids to shoot rodents with. It is one accurate sob though!
I can go all the way up the latter to 160gr bullets at over 3200fps to limit the wind drift.

That would be getting you closer, I have no idea if they make a pointy 160 or not. Last one I saw was a semi spitzer.

Unless there is a 160 spitzer that I'm unaware of then the Horn RN is it and that would drift 101.7" @ 800 in a 10 mph wind.

Now getting a 160 out of a 264 WM to 3200 and keep the primer pocket intact is a totally nuther idea........but I learn long ago I can a cartridge do anything I want to make it do...

That would be getting you closer, I have no idea if they make a pointy 160 or not. Last one I saw was a semi spitzer.

Unless there is a 160 spitzer that I'm unaware of then the Horn RN is it and that would drift 101.7" @ 800 in a 10 mph wind.

Now getting a 160 out of a 264 WM to 3200 and keep the primer pocket intact is a totally nuther idea........but I learn long ago I can a cartridge do anything I want to make it do...
Woodleigh makes a 160gr PPSN which is much like the corelok and it shoots great. It was designed for Moose. I hit 3267fps with it but was getting to the danger zone. Flattened primer and extractor marks on the brass.

Also have pushed the 100gr Nosler BT to 3709 fps. The JLK 130gr VLD to 3249 fps and could go faster.

I love my A.R. 15 chambered in 6 mm arc for coyotes. Just never shot one at that distance.
18" barrel.
View attachment 571980
Well you did exactly what I was going to do with my original M & P upper, replaced mine with a custom 18" Match M&Pand have been waiting to do what you have done, I have gotten everything but the 6mm ARC barrel and the suppressor. Which Barrel did you go with?

Well you did exactly what I was going to do with my original M & P upper, replaced mine with a custom 18" Match M&Pand have been waiting to do what you have done, I have gotten everything but the 6mm ARC barrel and the suppressor. Which Barrel did you go with?
As far as the barrel I went with a cheap ballistic advantage barrel, there are reviews on the Internet that say they are not that good, but I have no complaints at all with mine.
And again this is my coyote rifle not something I shoot 800 yards with obviously so I go with lighter bullets to get a little more speed and a flatter trajectory. Here’s my current recipe.
image.jpg

As far as the barrel I went with a cheap ballistic advantage barrel, there are reviews on the Internet that say they are not that good, but I have no complaints at all with mine.
And again this is my coyote rifle not something I shoot 800 yards with obviously so I go with lighter bullets to get a little more speed and a flatter trajectory. Here’s my current recipe.View attachment 580151
Thanks for your response