7prc Starter Load

Evidence of my experience, basically the same as Lieutenant Kenyon.

Attachments

• IMG_5895.jpeg
    IMG_5895.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 32
Evidence of my experience, basically the same as Lieutenant Kenyon.

Ladder tests often confuse me. I have done 2 identical ladder tests on two different days and have achieved different results, leading to different conclusions.

Looking at your ladder test above, with velocities increasing & decreasing in unexpected ways, and looking at the target; what conclusions where you able to make?

That barrel wouldn't repeat anything over multiple days.
I concluded it needed a new one!
Solved the issue, thankfully.
Went from a smooth Bartlein 3 to a Bartlein 4, fluted deep at 3/8x5.

Last edited:
It pays to have a spare propped up somewhere, with some of the QC issues of recent years.
I've since swapped companies and had better "luck".
Some of the premium priced components I've tried to use have made me older in a hurry until I stepped back and gave them a thorough inspection. It can and does happen people! When the manufacturer gives you verification and a replacement it's a great gesture, and appreciated, but the time, components and stress isn't free.

With ladder tests I use single shots per charge weight, to find interesting zones or nodes or whatever you want to call them. When 3 or more charge weights seem to converge in velocity and point of impact I use 2 or 3 shots of the same charges next go around to see if it holds true, seems stable or whatever.
I've been accused of using differences in charge weights that are too small to start with, based on percentage of the capacity. Maybe I need to start wider and narrow down as things refine. Just what I need, something else to experiment with!
Whatever works for you most often is what's best, ultimately.
300 is about as close as I pay attention to ladder tests. 500 is definitely better, and the farthest I can shoot and be within 75ft of the loading room. I wouldn't hesitate to go longer if the situation allowed.

Recent Posts