7mm STW or 28 Nosler?

RevJim

With todays powders, bullets (Hammers) just to have a flat shooter/hard hitter with 160s ( and you wanted "more" than 26" 7RM) on hand, would you a. Rechamber to the 7 STW or just buy a 28 Nosler? Bear in mind, you have to first buy the 26" 7RM (plus rechamber/dies, etc) and an equivalent quality 28 Nosler (plus dies/etc) triggers/scopes on hand. which would be more Practical?

Last edited:
Well I guess it would come down to if it was important to you to be able to buy factory ammo or not. Second if you answer no to that then I would look at brass availability. For me beings I was around when the stw came out as a kid and always wanting one growing up I had to have one lol. Now I have 2 lol. I would go with the 28 Sherman mag. Same performance but you use 300 prc cases to make it. Super easy and widely available. I load one for a buddy of mine.
Which ever one you choose your going to have a hell of a rifle. Fill free to PM me anytime if you have questions.

I did exactly what you describe with a custom barreled 7RM - rebarreled to STW. Twist wasn't enough to stabilize heavier bullets and accuracy was not great. My 28Ns are super accurate. I don't know why, but anything based on the .404 Jeffrey case (RUMs, Noslers, Edge, SAUMs, etc) just seem to be more accurate that cases based on the .375H&H.

It's been 20yrs since my last 7 STW ( rifle/brass all gone) and about 10yrs since I sold my custom 7mm RUM. I have a handful of brass and dies for it still, but man is it overbore, a hatful of powder I don't want to burn anymore! Even the 28 Nosler and that 28 Sherman would be less/and probably give me the same speeds! Neither the 7 STWs nor that one RUM was consistant with 160's, but death rays with the 140 NBT (STW/deer) 140 RUM/elk load. I have a 25" Shilen barreled 7x57 for the normal stuff around here, just wondering if I want to get back into a Big 7. Thanks for the reply's guys. : ) That 7x 300PRC sounds fun, I just just don't have time right now, I'm playing with my new to me 338/06 AI with the 175 HH and the 300 Wizzum/154 HHT. Pretty flat themselves. :) I have to say that I never had the 375 RUM, but I had the 7mm, 300, 338 and both the 300 and the 338 RUMs were my favorites, easiest to load for.

Which one is equivalent or even a tad "better" (for 160s) than the 7mm Mashburn Supermag? I have handload for simple necking down rounds .i.e 6.5/284, 6mm & 6.5/30-30 and 6mm/284 and afew necking ups, i.e. 6mm/222 Mag; 22/6mm Rem. But never fooled with bushings, two or three steps, neck turning/reaming/annealing, just haven't desired it is all. One reason I never went 7mm/300WM. I love them all, just no time and money, ha. I always wanted a 7mm Mashburn SM even when I got blistering speeds with the 140's and the big 7s.

If it was me...I'd go 28 nosler...I have a 7mm stw and while I love it I sank way too much money into it...($1600 in action work alone). Being as they're ballistic twins the 28 nosler is easier to find good brass...(adg makes it). You don't have to cut the action and run a Wyatt's long magazine box to run the Berger 195's...it's a pain in the a** to size the brass properly...I used a Larry Willis collet die to size above the belt and then a Redding bushing die to set neck tension and bump shoulder. Now I have a custom die that does it all but had to wait awhile for it and it was expensive. 28 nosler is just easier.