7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Mario, Im a big fan of the Barnes Bullet rite myself .....I shot them last year in several different rifles with unreal results on Deer and they shot in everything I have loaded them in so far

Yeah I tried them in my 338 but gave up. I just bought the 168 grains so I'm going to look at the Berger 180 and the LRX 168 and see how she likes them both. I have the retumbo and the RL 22, 25, and 33 so I should be able to find the magic potion in that somewhere. May buy some more H1000 if the little I have works. Of course, I'll keep y'all in the loop

Have a great day

Yeah I tried them in my 338 but gave up. I just bought the 168 grains so I'm going to look at the Berger 180 and the LRX 168 and see how she likes them both. I have the retumbo and the RL 22, 25, and 33 so I should be able to find the magic potion in that somewhere. May buy some more H1000 if the little I have works. Of course, I'll keep y'all in the loop

Have a great day

Black Sheep found a real good load with the 168 LRX & Retumbo. he wrote about it in this thread last fall i believe. Also, my guy at Redhawk Rifles did load development for one of their customer's STW & came up with almost the identical load. So you might want to try that combo.

Black Sheep found a real good load with the 168 LRX & Retumbo. he wrote about it in this thread last fall i believe. Also, my guy at Redhawk Rifles did load development for one of their customer's STW & came up with almost the identical load. So you might want to try that combo.

Cool. I'll try to find it or contact him!!!

Mario,Im sure glad 7STW is moving back down to MD as he will only be about a 6 hour drive from me but Im tellin Ya Bro if your gonna send that Mule out this way send it to me........Where 7 is moving to is by the coast and you dont want that rig out in the salty air and humidity and all the other harmful elements ....The NC air is crisp and clear and anything else you want me to tell you so that I can get my hands on that rig :D

Anybody got any " Hip Waders"? The $#% is gee tin deep here!!! :D HE HE!
Besides, them deer in NC have chronic wasting disease, and it might effect the rifles accuracy!:D
Anywhere you want to send it, it'll eat pretty well. The return address could get lost, but that's another story! Boys just havin fun!

Found some battle ship shot and see targets for a shooting game that that looks like a hoot if you get to shoot with someone looks like fun for braging rights. if you havent seen them yet

Guys,

Just bought a bartlein barrel #3 28 inch in 284... Thinking I will send my Husquvarna off to Ben and make it an STW too!!! Ben Can you do that????

ANyway... 28 inch barrel for 400 with 6 grooves on the outside... SOrry the correct name slips my mind as I drank too much and watched Woverine tonight!!!! ANyway... Hope is is as promising as my other STW!!!! The traveling Killer!!!
hahahaha

Mario

good morning Guys,

i haven't posted anything for a while with family vacation and the summer things.

i have been working on the stw load . setled on 79.5 gr of h1000 under the 168 lrx at 3180. In power testing 79 gr shoot a 5/8 in 3 shoot group. 80 gr.was about the same but the case was a little stiky in the chamber so setled for 79.5. messed with bullet depth abit. to see what my max for the mag was and shoot through the crono. loaded 10 rounds and went to the range, when all of my groups fell apart 3 shots over 4 in.i take pretty good notes as to what i try. started to pull my hair out 5/8 group last time at the range.in checking notes and loading a dummy round i discovered i had left the die set to max mag length. looking at me note i droped them back down to 3.6140 and 3 at 3.6250 and went to the range again. range is 6 block away from the house, pretty nice.

both loads where over 4 in groups. set my dies to the original bullet depth when testing the power loads 3.6490 and went back with a box of factory rem 140 corelocks.

this hand load was 4 in group also. started shooting the factory rounds and had the same size group. everything was a horizontal group all the same height but spead out flat across the target.

we had one of my sons 300 wsm out for a few shots that gun shoots sweet. so i new it was not me being a idiot and forgetting how to shoot.

after the session i was clening the gun when i noticed alot of movement in the berral stock area. after close looking it was the front scope mounts moving, quite noticable. will take it back to the smith that mounted the scope and rings today to have them fix it.... i payed top have it mounted so they will have to stand by it... very good smith i now he will make it good.

sorry for the long post but thought this would bring back some memories for all who have every had this happen to them or maybe help some young hunters lightbulb:rolleyes:

sounds like my rifle last year-- everything kept coming loose....

Hey guys, horn soup (bouncy style) for supper in November!! Smokey deer too!!! Got what I wanted for tags!!

Not that yall give a ****...Here's some updates in my world.

Well.....After many months of not going to the range, I finally went Sunday. The weather has heated up here, and apparantly my awsome STW load (Berger 180 VLD & H1000) I had developed earlier this year (winter/spring time) is not a good one for summer heat. Groups weren't bad, but highly inconsistant.

On a stranger note, my 168 VLD load with Reloder 22, that was not as consistant during the cold months, was shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA ragged hole 3-shot groups... Glad to know which one will be working better for the winter, and which one for summer.

My Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby is loving the 115 VLD's and H1000 load, but I still need to do some final tweaking. But shooting 1/2-3/4 MOA groups. Then again, after reading one of Broz's posts, I might just need to bed the recoil lug to help with consistancy. I'll give that a try first before swapping up the load.

The Browning A-Bolt II 7Mag is shooting my 168 VLD load very well, but I have yet to try the 180 VLD load, as I ran out of time at the range on Sunday (they close @ 5:00).

My new (to me) 700 .338 WinMag won't group to save its life. Even after I checked, and it has been bedded to the B&C Medalist stock (prior to purchase), and I free-floated the barrel a few weeks ago. So, that barrel is going to be pulled and I will probably be putting a lightweight .257 Wby barrel on it for stalk-hunting whitetails, because all my rifles are heavy barrels, except that one and my Browning 7Mag.

Took the rifle back to the smith last night. The one that mounted the scope was a younger guy that is working for him. They both remember the gun and asked how it was shooting. After explaining everything i had gone through in working up the loads then everything falling apart. He took it in the back and came out a few minutes later, said the front screw mounts never got any Loctite on them, he said every other screw in the mount had been Loctited but the front base screws were missed. The young guy that had done the work apologized. I told him we are all human and I was glad it was an easy fix, not something like a striped threads. Now it is time to start over again or at least finish if bullet supply holds out.

Not that yall give a ****...Here's some updates in my world.

Well.....After many months of not going to the range, I finally went Sunday. The weather has heated up here, and apparantly my awsome STW load (Berger 180 VLD & H1000) I had developed earlier this year (winter/spring time) is not a good one for summer heat. Groups weren't bad, but highly inconsistant.

On a stranger note, my 168 VLD load with Reloder 22, that was not as consistant during the cold months, was shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA ragged hole 3-shot groups... Glad to know which one will be working better for the winter, and which one for summer.

My Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby is loving the 115 VLD's and H1000 load, but I still need to do some final tweaking. But shooting 1/2-3/4 MOA groups. Then again, after reading one of Broz's posts, I might just need to bed the recoil lug to help with consistancy. I'll give that a try first before swapping up the load.

The Browning A-Bolt II 7Mag is shooting my 168 VLD load very well, but I have yet to try the 180 VLD load, as I ran out of time at the range on Sunday (they close @ 5:00).

My new (to me) 700 .338 WinMag won't group to save its life. Even after I checked, and it has been bedded to the B&C Medalist stock (prior to purchase), and I free-floated the barrel a few weeks ago. So, that barrel is going to be pulled and I will probably be putting a lightweight .257 Wby barrel on it for stalk-hunting whitetails, because all my rifles are heavy barrels, except that one and my Browning 7Mag.

Of course we give a ****!!! Interesting how that powder is not supposed to be temp sensitive!! Glad you learned us something!!! Hahahahahga
Keep shoot'n

Hey guys, i am in Maryland, and it has been a tough week, with all the homes Ive seen, and offers and such. Ive seen a ton of deer, almost, if not every day. Getting close on a decision on my house, and the closing. lots of great homes and property here. will keep in touch whe i can, and hopefully from my new home soon. take care to all!!!!!gun):)

Hey guys, i am in Maryland, and it has been a tough week, with all the homes Ive seen, and offers and such. Ive seen a ton of deer, almost, if not every day. Getting close on a decision on my house, and the closing. lots of great homes and property here. will keep in touch whe i can, and hopefully from my new home soon. take care to all!!!!!gun):)

Good luck on your offers and house hunt!!!

Hope soon it turns to a deer hunt!!

New Rig Should be here Wed