7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

It is an awesome low-light scope. But I have 2 issues with it. 1, it's big, heavy, and bulky. And 2, the crosshairs are also big, heavy, and bulky. LOL I could deal with the size and weight of the scope, but the crosshairs are pretty dang thick. If they were thinner like the size of a my 6.5-20x50's Z-Plex reticle, then it would be alot better. I might even send it to Zeiss just for fun to see if they could put in a Z1000 or Mil-Dot reticle, and maybe some adjustable target turrets like on my 6.5-20x50. That would really juice up the scope with a Mil-Dot and exposed target turrets.
Yep it is a trade off. Without a lighted reticle in low light the thin reticles can be lost very quickly in a busy picture.

The thick crosshair is easier to see in low light, but it does take away some of the view so to speak.

I have the lighted MP8 Reticles on my IOR's and **** is that nice!

If I remember right though from looking at them they only offer one reticle in the model you have and don't offer even through the custom shop any others. Is that correct?

It does take a bit away from the versatility of the rig, but still, for a dedicated low light or night hunting rig it's sure nice.

Heavy fog or dust can make that heavier crosshair a plus too though.

I'm not sure, I'll have to check with the guy @ Zeiss CS. If they could do a Mil-Dot and target turrets that would be sweet! B/c I bet that 3-12 30mm has some capability for some huge MOA adjustment inside of it. LOL i might have to check with them. Also need to check about having them replace the Z-Plex in my 6.5-20 with a Mil-Dot, too.

I'm not sure, I'll have to check with the guy @ Zeiss CS. If they could do a Mil-Dot and target turrets that would be sweet! B/c I bet that 3-12 30mm has some capability for some huge MOA adjustment inside of it. LOL i might have to check with them. Also need to check about having them replace the Z-Plex in my 6.5-20 with a Mil-Dot, too.
Take a look at their Duralyt model.

Personally I've considered the 3-12x56 possibly for a dedicated night hunting varmint rifle but without the lighted reticle I'm not sure it's worth it for me.

The IOR's with the lighted MP8 are pricey, but **** that 4-14x50 tactical is just one bad assed low light/night scope. On a full moon I've killed out to 350yds with it without any spotlight.

Yeah, those Duralyte's are nice! They weigh about 1/2 as much and the FOV is much better on them over my Conquest 3-12x56. With the Conquest you can see the inside sides of the scope when you pull the magnification out of it all the way to 3x... The Duralyte has a clear FOV all the in to 3x and out to 12x. Might sell my Conquest to buy a Duralyte... Thought about it more than once...LOL

Curious about the 7stw what is the heaviest bullet any of you have used and has anyone tried the 200gr uld rbbt wildcat or is it worth trying?

Heaviest I've shot is the Berger 180 VLD's, loaded semi-hot with H1000. It stacks them in ragged hole @ 100. Never heard of the other bullet you mentioned...I'll have to look into it.

In process of finishing up my stw. need to get scope for it. thinking on 3-12x56 conquest. would like a night force but price is a little high. going to shoot 168 bergers-78 gr 7828--smokes them out pretty good. hope it all works. jpgun)

Bob, Should we be posting in the new forum? I'm confused with this? Maybe start threads on subjects categories of the 7stw., bullets, scopes, pictures, etc.?

Curious about the 7stw what is the heaviest bullet any of you have used and has anyone tried the 200gr uld rbbt wildcat or is it worth trying?

From a quick numbers dump into the hornady calculator, my nosler bonded actually shoots 5% flatter to 1000 yards even giving the 200 grain 2900 fps to start with; that may be a stiff push for the stw.
The 140's are easily launched to about 3400 fps in an stw, so that's what I tossed in. I used .920 bc on the 200 which was found in a thread here. I used .485 bc for the 140 which is noslers book#.
The 200 has a SIGNIFICANT energy advantage (1700 # ft to 800 # ft), but the 140 still has enough energy to get 'er done as far out as I'll whack a critter.
I'm not entirely sure a 9 twist at 2900 would spin this pill enough... perhaps someone with a stability calculator handy would chime in??
Range (yards)Velocity (fps)Energy (ft.-lb.)Trajectory (in)Come UP in MOACome UP in MilsWind Drift (in)Wind Drift in MOAWind Drift in MilsMuzzle29003735-1.500000100279834773.1-3-0.9000200269932343.3-1.6-0.500030026013005-1.30.40.100040025062789-112.60.800050024132586-26.351.500060023222394-47.67.62.200070022322213-75.310.3300080021452043-11013.13.800090020591884-152.216.14.7000100019761734-202.719.45.6000

Bob, Should we be posting in the new forum? I'm confused with this? Maybe start threads on subjects categories of the 7stw., bullets, scopes, pictures, etc.?

Ed, I believe the New site is for pix and short stories. As far as I can tell, this edition is pretty much as it was before the new one. So, here, I believe, it is ok to start topics, or talk formulas, scopes, bullets! I'm with you on the confusion, I'll stay here, it's simpler! :)

In process of finishing up my stw. need to get scope for it. thinking on 3-12x56 conquest. would like a night force but price is a little high. going to shoot 168 bergers-78 gr 7828--smokes them out pretty good. hope it all works. jpgun)

Gunsmith, congrats on the new build. And I know what you mean about the Nightforce scopes. I recently had my paws on one at a Gun show recently, and I had a hard time putting it down. That little Gem was $1800.00 bucks the hard way. That DID help me put it down. In the mean time, I'll settle for my Leupolds, Nikon Monarchs etc. I even have a few off brands that suit the purpose til something else suits.
What action and barrel did you go with?
PS, " Welcome to the Brotherhood"! Enjoy the ride.

gun)i put it on a 700 remington.all cut and lapped to true. just need a scope to finish out. i have built some high end stw's but this one is out of my pocket. just takes time. thanks for reply. jp

Hello fellas, i just got here and im excited to know others love the stw like i do. Mine is a sendero sf, ive not had any customization as yet. I am looking for brass if anyone knows of any please feel free to give me a yell. Thanks!

Hello fellas, i just got here and im excited to know others love the stw like i do. Mine is a sendero sf, ive not had any customization as yet. I am looking for brass if anyone knows of any please feel free to give me a yell. Thanks!
Welcome to the Broterhood and a sendero is a great way to start and I think Ed has some brass just hang tight and we'll find you some