7MM RUM??

Getting 2900 fps from a milder charge of H50 BMG here with a 175 eld-x in a 8" twist 7rum. I could push it a bit but it's a short throat rifle, so book loads are off the table anyway. It's plenty accurate where it is too so I hate to push it. The 8" twist Brux was good at shredding jackets on heavy match pills when I pushed a bit during ld.

Lots of good info here !
No 7 Rum load work today but ..hot dang that new to me 6.5 x 284 is shooting dang Good today !
The Whitetails better hide around here !

Rum Man

Those terminal effects are far above normal I'd guarantee.
They are impressive at 3000fps.

What velo do you run normally?
Well, I don't normally shoot the 7RUM. I ran across a deal on the rifle, worked up a load , confirmed it out to 500, and it hasn't come outa the safe since. LRT is pushing them 3450ish.
In a sported weight rifle, it's a handful.

I bought a new in box Remington 700 XCR in 7mm RUM to complement my custom STW. My STW shoots the 160gr Shock Hammers at 3350fps while my RUM shoots them at 3500fps. Both in 26" barrels, the RUM with that load is mildly uncomfortable to say the least.

7 RUM bought used. 162 eldx ragged holes with retumbo around 3460 with 26". Cut down to 21". 3200 fps now. Idk which was worse the recoil or muzzle concussion. A buddy of mine wanted it if I shortened it. He runs an Omega can. Tamed it quite a bit.
IMG_4375.jpeg
IMG_4373.jpeg
IMG_4377.jpeg
Custom crown
IMG_4374.jpeg

I'm still using factory Barnes 145 gr LRX ammunition in mine, but it's like using a laser to shoot whitetail deer out to the 360 yards visible from my stand. The high velocity and virtually zero drop of that factory round is absolutely devastating. 100% of the deer I've killed with it are literally "dead right there". I've got a lb of Retumbo and have considered going to a 175 for larger game, but the 145gr Barnes LRX are incredibly impressive for Arkansas whitetail deer.

Your 9 in 1 twist will be questionable with anything 180g or heavier.
I have a SAKO 75 Sainless 7 rum with a 9.5 twist and my 180g bergers did not stableize until I reached 3100 fps witch was right about as hot as I wanted to go.
That was with the now discontinued IMR 7828 ( 7828 ssc does not fill the case enough) I have some Retumbo that I plan on going to but have not worked up a load with yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    375.2 KB · Views: 2